Insurance purposes

Holy water, the most dangerous weapon against a demon and yet Crowley had a thermos full. It was just for insurance purposes, he had assured Aziraphale.

But what defined insurance purposes? Was the end of the world reason enough to use it? Crowley had spent years following after Aziraphale, patiently waiting for the angel to realize that they were on their own side. However, the repeated rejections had worn on the demon. He was sure that Aziraphale would never see it that way. He was far too loyal to heaven still.

"Angel, I'm sorry I apologize, whatever I said I didn't mean it. Work with me I'm apologizing here. Yes? Good, get in the car." Crowley gestured heavily to the car, hoping this time, Aziraphale might give in.

"What? No," The angel frowned.

Crowley's heart dropped. Rejected once again. How many times was he going to let the angel break his heart.

"The forces of hell have figured out it was my fault, but we can run away together, alpha centauri. Lots of spare planets up there, nobody would even notice us." Once more it seemed. He held his breath.

"Crowley, you're being ridiculous. Look I-I-I'm quite sure if I can just reach the right people, then I can get this all sorted out."

Devastation surged through him once more.

"There aren't any right people. There's just God, moving in mysterious ways and not talking to any of us." Maybe reason would work with Aziraphale. The angel had always seen reason.

"Well, yes, and that is why I'm going to have a word with the Almighty, and then the Almighty will fix it."

Frustration bubbled in the demon's throat.

"That won't happen. You're so clever. How can somebody as clever as you be so stupid?" He was masking his pain with anger.

The hurt in the angel's eyes made Crowley feel guilty.

"I forgive you," Aziraphale spoke gently.

Crowley let out a defeated sigh, there was no hope. Aziraphale didn't want to be with him. He was just going to have to accept that. "I'm going home, angel. I'm getting my stuff and I'm leaving, and when I'm off in the stars I won't even think about you." It was a lie. He knew it. Aziraphale knew it. The Almighty herself knew it. But he had to salvage some of his pride.

Now here he was standing in the doorway of his flat and wondering how he let things get this bad. He was in love with someone that would never feel the same way. That was manageable when they were able to spend thousands of years together, but the fact that that time was coming to an end and Aziraphale would be his enemy, really and truly his enemy, it made the demon sick. He'd rather die than see that happen.

His eyes darted to the large picture of Mona Lisa on the wall. His answer was just behind it. He could erase all the pain of knowing that he was just a means to an end to Aziraphale. He wouldn't have to worry about hell's wrath, cause it was coming for him. He wouldn't have to live without his angel.

He carefully removed the painting and put in the combination.

The tartan patterned thermos made his heart ache.

"What are you doing here?" Crowley frowned at the sight of the angel as he climbed into the Bentley. He was always the one to seek out the angel, not the other way around.

"I needed a word with you," Aziraphale answered, his tone tense as he posture.

"What?"