chapter » 24

This chapter is actually kinda sad in a way idk

so since the last chapter was rly personal for willow and her mom, this chapter will be rly personal for willow and her dad bc i feel like their relationship hasnt been portrayed the way i want it to be. theyre actually rly close hes just always busy.

the video is somo's cover of my little girl by tim mcgraw. it rly suits this chapter so go listen to it bc somo is bae

FOTP is Baby Lips by the bae alice (suicidexscarsx) bc haass and meh are otp

ok. ily guys.

-xox alex

__

"I never really got to just sit and talk with my dad anymore-it was quite sad, really. I guess my mother had opened my eyes."

»

"Daddy," I whispered. "I can't sleep." I wiggled my small little toes, my breathing steady as a few tears slid down my chubby cheeks.

Dad looked up from his work, his eyes locking with mine. "What's wrong, pumpkin?" He asked, setting his old reading glasses on the table.

I timidly walked over to him, my teddy bear dragging in my hand behind me. "I had a bad dream."

He picked me up carefully and sat me in his lap. Up close, I noticed the tired bags that hung under his now dull eyes. "What was it about?"

"Mommy," I whispered, heat rising to my cheeks. I knew father hated talking about my mom but it was true-my nightmare was about her.

He brushed my hair out of my face and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Pumpkin, your mommy will always love you, alright?"

"Alright."

"Now, let's go sleep, huh?" He smiled at me softly.

I nodded. "Okay."

We both stood, my little hand in his larger one as we walked back to my small little room in the back of the house. It's lavender walls were almost scary as I watched the shadows of the tree just outside my window whip in the wind. I clung to daddy for my life.

"It's okay, sweetie. Let's get tucked in, okay?"

I nodded shyly, sleepiness taking over me. I began to walk as if I were in a trance of dissiness, my little body sliding into the covers, Dad tucking in the corners so that I was nice and comfy.

"Goodnight, princess," He whispered.

"Goodnight, Daddy."

My heart pounded as I sat up in bed, sweat beading my brow. The dream was so real I thought I could reach out and touch it. I recalled that very night-just days after mother left us behind.

I rubbed my temples and tried to sleep once more but found myself uncomfortable. Sighing, I climbed out of bed and trudged downstairs. When I saw the light to my father's study on, I smiled to myself.

I quietly stood in the doorframe as I watched him mumble things to himself. Then write them down. Then flip a page of paperwork. Then repeat. His salt and pepper hair was touseled and his plaid pajama pants were rolled up slightly.

"Working hard?" I asked, my arms crossed over my chest and a smile on my lips.

He flinched a little but realized it was me. He chuckled lightly, running a hand through his hair. "You could call it that."

I grinned. "Could you take a break and come eat some ice cream with me?"

His eyes widened. "I'll drop anything for ice cream, we both know that."

I giggled as we walked into the dark kitchen. He grabbed the ice cream while I grabbed the spoons.

"This is my favorite kind, you know?" He gestured to the box of butter pecan ice cream and I nodded.

"It's mine too," I smiled at him, dipping my spoon deep into the ice cream and stuffing it into my mouth, the creamy, salty sweetness spread across my taste buds and I shivered from memories.

"Anna knows me well, huh?" He smiled at me, eating some ice cream for himself.

I leaned forward, my elbows against the countertop. "I guess so." I shrugged, a ghost smile dancing across my lips.

"W, you know I'll always love your mom, right?"

I looked at him plainly. "Then why did you let her leave us?"

He sighed, setting his spoon down. "Willow, it broke me to see your mother leave us. She was my world-no, my universe." He ran a hand through his hair. "I had to let her go. She wasn't happy and that's what hurt me. My whole life I wanted to make sure she was treated right and happy with her life."

"When she told me she wasn't, I told her to leave and be happy. Of course, I knew she was knocked up. I wasn't stupid. I simply held that information from you because you were already overwhelmed with her leaving us."

I nodded slowly, the clock flashing on the oven the only source of light in the large dark kitchen. "I understand."

He shook his head. "I don't want to talk about the past."

"Me neither," I admitted.

He smiled, the creases beside his eyes showing. "So, Nash, huh?"

I felt a happy glow rise to my cheeks. "Yeah..." I trailed, my attention dropping to the ice cream as I spun my spoon around in the container.

"You like him?"

I nodded. "Alot."

He took my hands in his. "Willow, I want you to be able to tell me anything, okay? Tell me about him."

I grinned. "Okay. I love him," I breathed, my dad's eyes lighting up at this.

"Love?"

I nodded slowly. "He makes me happy, Daddy. When he smiles it's like the only thing I see. And when whe says my name, I get these chills and I constantly think about him and..." I stopped, taking his reaction. "I know I'm young, Dad, but believe it or not, I know what love is and what I feel for Nash is love."

He kissed my temple. "That's all I've ever wanted for you. I wanted you to find someone who could give you the things I couldn't. I think you have, pumpkin."

I hugged him tightly. "Daddy, your opinion means more to me than anyone else's. So, what do you think of him?" I pulled back to look him in the eyes.

"Honestly, I think I love the kid just as much as you do. I mean, look at your face! If he can make you that happy, then I have no other choice but to love him." He paused. "As long as he keeps his hands to himself."

I tried to hide my blush as I awkwardly laughed. "Haha. Of course he does."

He gave me a look before rolling his eyes. "Kids these days."

I felt a tear slip down my face. "I'll never love him as much as I love you. You know that, right?"

He smiled at me, hugging me again, tighter this time. "You'll always be my princess."

"And you'll always be my number one guy."

He pulled back. "What do you say we take this ice cream back into the living room and watch Boy Meets World?"

"Sounds perfect."

Just before we left the kitchen, my eyes flashed to the clock on the oven, a smile creeping onto my face as it read 12:26.

I closed my eyes.

And made a wish.