Mermaids

*Russias PoV*

I head to the hidden cove. I like this spot, since it's basically untouched.

I approach the entrance, when I hear singing.

I move the vines and see someone sitting on a rock in the water. He doesn't have legs, but he has a tail.

I hold my guitar tighter.

He's singing a song that I sing here a lot.

My foot slips and I slide down the hill. The mermaid dives into the water.

I get up and move to my normal spot.

I stay quiet, thinking about what I saw. I see a shadow at the base of the rock, so he's still here.

I start playing my guitar, and sing the song that the mermaid was singing.

I hear him join in softly. I slowly get quieter, and he gets a bit louder. Soon, I'm just playing my guitar, and he's singing.

We finish the song, and I start clapping. I hear a squeak, then a splash as he swims away.

I look down and sadly stare at the water. It's fun having someone to sing with.

I look out over the cove, and say "I guess I'll be back tomorrow."

I walk up to a hidden spot, and wait. The mermaid comes out of the water and looks around. He sits on the rock again.

I get a good look at him.

His flag has thirteen stripes, and there's a blue box with maybe fifty stars in it. His tail is red and white striped, similar to his flag.

He looks around sadly. He talks to himself. "Should I let him see me? But he'll kidnap me and sell me! But he was so nice... And he clapped when I sang."

I feel my foot start to slip, but I catch myself on a branch. I'm out in the open though.

My guitar falls and lands in a bush.

The mermaid looks up and sees me. He panics, and the branch snaps. I fall and hit my leg hard on a rock.

I scream in pain. I think my leg is broken.

I look at it, and it's bent weird. Definitely broken.

The mermaid swims close, but stays hidden.

I look around, but there's nothing I can do. I didn't bring my phone, so I can't call anyone.

There's nothing close enough for me to make a makeshift cast, or use as makeshift crutches.

I'm just gonna die here I guess.

I put my face in my hands. "I'm an idiot. Of course I break my leg in an area that no one else knows about."

Something growls at me, and I see a bear emerge from a cave. I look near me to see her cubs. I look back at the bear.

I guess this is how I die.