HOW COME? 🧪

-What do you need Josh's number for, Zon?

Skeptical expression resting upon his face as he held the yesterday's newspaper in his hands, sure did make me nervous a little. The story about me ripping my pantyhose with my own backpack wasn't so assuring, either.

-I just need to ask him something. It's about Pete's amplifier that stayed at his place or wherever. I promise, dad, it's cool.

Smirking, he scouted over at the small brown notebook, set upon the pile of newspapers on the coffee table besides me.

Seems like I sounded more convincing that I did in my head

-Take that and scroll a little through it, you'll find it. I think it's somewhere in the middle.

Hopping up from the couch, I placed a quick kiss on his cheek and went over to pick the notebook up. I grabbed an ashtray from the kitchen on the way too, and jogged up the stairs to my room.

-Thank you, dad!

Opening the door and getting in my room, I realised that there's something missing. I looked confusingly around me, then took a few steps back.
Placing my hand on the doorknob and pulling the door up and away from me, I realised that was it!
They didn't screech anymore!

-Dad! You daubed these for me?!

I threw the notebook beside me and heard it popping down on the bed, jogging back to our living room. I embraced myself in dad's hug, peppering his whole face with kisses.

-Thank you, thank you, thank you! They were so annoying!

Turning his head away as I was still bugging him, he grabbed me by the wrists and pinned them down to my lap, catching up on air. His face was all red and sprinkled with lipstick stains.

-Alright, Zon, it's enough! You're welcome, honey, anytime. But please, wipe off your lipstick before you thank me the next time, okay?

Giggling, I placed one more kiss on his forehead, laughing at the shape of my lips that popped up. He joyfully growled at me, then got up to wash his face I suppose.

I jogged back up to my room and threw myself on the bed, sighing as I've laid down for the first time today. My heart was beating slightly faster after all that laughing and jogging up and down.

Taking the leather notebook up in my hands, I started scrolling towards the middle as my dad told me. After about twenty pages, I found Josh; along with his humber written beneath it.

-You're busted, fucker.

I mumbled quietly to myself, pressing the buttons of our telephone and hanging the receiver to my ear as I've typed the number down. I was clicking the nails of my middle finger and thumb together, as the ringing sound vibrated through my ears.

-Yes?

-Well, hello there, snitch!

My voice was ice cold as I've put an accent to the last word, hissing at him like a snake.

-Good day to you too, Corazon. How did you first class go?

-Josh, cut with the bullshit! Why on Earth, did you tell Peter that I asked you to keep his picture with me?! What were you thinking?!

I was now kneeling on my bed, angrily waving my hands around as I spoke. I was feeling completely frustrated and betrayed.

-Corazon, relax! He's my friend, he should know that stuff.

-Yeah? Well, how did you feel while mocking me in the café yesterday, as I was questioning you about your friend?! Was that not enough for you, so you had to tell him about the picture, too?

Sounds on the other side of the line were now confusing me. Slow, deep breaths were ringing through the receiver, vibrating through my ears, while Josh's laughter was coming from the background. I felt my heart pounding hard against my ribs, feeling sort of painful.

-Oh? So it was a picture of me, in the end. How come?

He didn't have to introduce himself, I knew who he was. On the other side of the line, breathing heavily and waiting impatiently for my response. At this very moment I knew, my practice tomorrow will be a catastrophe.

-P-Peter? I, I mean... professor. H-hi..

He chuckled, making a sound with his tongue hitting against his palatum afterwards. I knew I should explain, and I knew he was rather impatient, but I was left petrified. It's like my brain forgot to reproduce the words at this point.

-Dolly? I think I asked you, how come?

Blood rushed to my cheeks, making them as red as a tomato when I heard what he's calling me.
In front of Josh. Oh, God, he will destroy me with mocking.

-Y-yes, you did. Uhm, when I was with my dad and Josh, at the café yesterday, he showed me a Polaroid of you. You know, to show me how my teacher looks like. I, uh... I-I asked him if I could keep the picture at the end of that night.

Literally spitting out the last part of the sentence, I crosed my index and middle finger in sign of hoping that he'll buy this, not torturing me with questions anymore.

-9 PM sharp tomorrow, Corazon.

The line went dead after this sentence, yet I was still holding the receiver against my ear, blankly staring at the wall in front of me.
I needed a cigarette.