EYE-CANDY 🧪 (PART III)

I was walking down the 7th Avenue, making my way to the first subway I'll pass by. Blood in my system was craving desperately for a nicotine boost, but I always refused to smoke while I'm walking. Maybe a nicotine junkie, but never a scumbag.

As I was walking down the crowded New York street, it seemed to me like I've passed by a lot more couples than in usual. They either were holding hands, wrapping their arms around each other's waist, or simply talking and laughing with one another, that beautiful sparkle of love gleaming in their eyes. It was a nice thing to see, honestly.
But I couldn't help it than to feel a little melancholic.

I mean, will I ever settle down with someone, to just be happy? Will I ever have someone to ring at night that I've made it home? Someone to go to the movies. Someone to balance me. Why was that word stuck in my head that bad?
Balance, balance, balance. Fuck balance!

Within a few more hurried steps, I've made it down to the subway station. It was rather empty, besides the only one little girl making me company.

Even though I saw that there's plenty of free space down on the bench, I decided to ask the kid. She seemed like the sweetest child on the planet, with her golden-blonde hair tied up in two long braids that cascaded down her back. She was wearing a baby-blue dress with puffy sleeves, and held a rather big, white Teddy bear in her small hands.

-Mind if I sit down?

She was swaying her legs back and forth while sitting down, now paying her attention to me. She shook her head, two of her braids wiggling around as she did so.

-You can sit next to me. I was a little scared all alone.

-Yeah? Well, what is such a small girl doing on the subway alone anyways?

-I went to see my boyfriend in the hospital. He broke his arm yesterday.

Her small head hung low as she was sad all over again because of that, I supposed. Children are so pure. She seemed so proud while saying that 'boyfriend' part. I wish I was a child again, sometimes.

-Aww, that's too bad. I'm sorry for boyfriend.

-Me too. Man in a white coat said his arm will be getting better soon, though.

-Then it certainly will! Man in a white coat definitely knows what he's talking about.

Her forest-green eyes now fell down on my thighs, confusingly examing them. She furrowed her eyebrows and cocked her head to the side before she spoke up.

-Your pantyhose are ripped. Why?

I quickly got up and pulled my skirt down a little, trying to cover the holes before I sat down again. Damn it. No use.

-I, uhm... I, uh.. I was holding my backpack in my lap, and the zipper got stick in them. I didn't notice that before I tried to take the backpack up.

-Oh! That happened to me, too!

-Really?

-Yeah! But I was holding my brother's playing truck, though.

I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed her eyes lighting up when she heard that she wasn't the only one in that situation.
On the other hand, though, I felt bad for lying to a kid. But it was a good lie.
Definitely a good lie.

-So what did you do then?

-My mom told me to just get them off and stay bare-legged. Pantyhose are annoying anyways.

-Yeah, they kind of are. You think I should just get them off?

Jumping down from the bench, she took me by the hand and led me to a subway bathroom, motioning with her hand that held the Teddy bear in it, to get in to one of the cabinets.