1.17

Bai Mengxiang was already at the banquet by now. The atmosphere was great and joyful, no signs of any hidden dangers. As he sat on the chair, his eyes turned to Xu Yongheng, who was beside him.

Honestly, he pitied this man. It wasn't that Bai Mengxiang hated Xu Yongheng, but remembering what Xu Yongheng had done to the original Bai Mengxiang made him want to make Xu Yongheng suffer. The original soul had lost everything in his life all because of a childhood love, and in the end, even when he was still killed, he didn't try to explain why he had done such things.

That only told Bai Mengxiang that love is something that couldn't be trusted. But for now, he was acting in a play, he was the lead in this love story that was filled with angst. Since it was already filled with angst, why not add in some heartache and endless yearning to it?

Bai Mengxiang smiled gently. Human nature was quite cruel. In his own world, Bai Mengxiang was feared yet awed, hated yet envied, but that didn't bother him anymore by then. He broke hearts, he shattered many dreams, all in all, he was an evil and cold-hearted man, plotting against other people with a smile on his face and a cold gaze.

But honestly, who could blame him?

Bai Mengxiang grew up in a place where love didn't matter, where only your worth determined how you were treated. If you were useless, you were tossed away. That was why he rosed to the top, destroying anything that hindered his path. To say that he regretted what he had done, he would never say so. After all, it had taught him so much.

Snapping away from his thoughts, he turned his body to face Xu Yongheng. As if by instinct, he smiled. Truthfully, he didn't want to do this, but, Bai Mengxiang couldn't bring himself to fall in love. Even though Xu Yongheng loved him so much, treated him so well, Bai Mengxiang's heart had already grown cold and frozen. Even if he smiled so brightly, acted as if he was in love, his heart was still cold and unmoved. Not to mention, this was the same man who had betrayed the original soul.

Bai Mengxiang's words were merely sweet lies, a cruel yet beautiful illusion.

"I love you, Yongheng, so thank you for everything," Bai Mengxiang whispered suddenly, his voice soft and mellow, shocking Xu Yongheng. His words were filled with strong emotions of love, his eyes gently looking into Xu Yongheng's, captivating his whole being. But his heart was cold.

[Male lead's love percentage has hit 100%, congratulations, Host. You have completed your first mission and successfully changed Bai Mengxiang's life, and stole the male lead away from the main character.]

With that, System's voice disappeared once more. Bai Mengxiang didn't show any type of emotion as he heard these words, his eyes still focused on Xu Yongheng.

"I know, Mengxiang, and I love you too." Xu Yongheng's heart skipped, a warm feeling spreading throughout his body as he looked at the love of his life. This man, he wished to be beside him forever.

Just then, a scream echoed.

"Ahhh!"

Bai Mengxiang turned to see where it came from, spotting Consort Ran as she clenched her face that was now filled with red marks, hot tea dripping from her face as she screamed in pain and her maids hurried to wipe her.

He didn't show anything but worry, yet his heart smiled. The play had begun, the final and last one that he would witness in this world.

"You! How dare you ruin my face, you slave!" Consort Ran stood in rage, a handkerchief in her hand as she covered her face that was slowly being covered in burn marks.

"This-this slave didn't mean to, Consort! This slave had been clumsy and had slipped, Consort. Please, please don't punish this slave!" The maid knelt down, her head hitting the floor as the room turned silent.