Chapter 66

I know you've been avoiding doing it, so I'll do it for you.

     10.

     There's ten pages of this journal left.

     Ten pages, until my life ends, and yours begins.

     I'd love to sit here, and tell you that I'll explain everything in a neat and orderly fashion, so that you may be ready to face the universe head on...finally by yourself.

     But I just...I can't.

     Because in all honesty, Bree, I'm a narcissist at hearts. Forever putting myself over everyone else.

     Even you, in this case.

     And because of that...I've been rather distracted lately.

     I'm going to die. That's certainly not new information for either of us. And yet, I can't seem to get it out of my mind lately.

     And I know that's selfish to do. Of all people, I don't deserve mercy, even from myself. I've done the most horrible things, Bree. Honestly, I should have died back on Gallifrey. Among my own kind.

     Among those monsters.

     Well...I'm sorry. I get it if you're fed up with my nonsense, at this point. I think it's best if I leave you for now.

~🌺~

     "There was two ways we could have done this."

     "Y...you..."

     "I really didn't want to come to this." I say.

     "Wi...ll..."

     I nod slowly. "Okay. If this is how it's gonna be..." I whisper, staring blankly into the distance. "Then I guess we're done here."

     "You...will...be...del...ee...ted..."

     "Ugh," I exasperate. "We've been over this. First off, you've been reduced to a pile of spare parts, remember?" I nudge the edge of a loose Cyberman forearm, and it spins in a jagged semicircle. "Second off, if you're not going to just hand over what I want, then," I shrug, "I'll just get it myself."

     "Be...wi - ll...you...ted...del...ee."

     "Save it." I say, stepping over the Cyberman remnants to get to the computer centered in the ship's control room. "You got about two minutes of power reserve left in you pal, and about...five more before this whole ship goes boom. So, be a dear and just sit quietly."

     I hear the ever distinct sound of not-so-dismantled Cybermen breaking through and entering the door I'd spent about three seconds reinforcing. Then, there's the pause of them discovering their Cyber King and several others of their kind scattered in about twenty different chunks across the room. One of them steps forward, speaking in their gritty, monotonous voice. "You have been identified. You are-"

     I shake my head, not bothering to turn around as I rapidly type into the computer. "Just...SHHH! Is it that hard for you guys to shut up? I'm working."

     "-incompatible for upgrade. Partial upgrade may still be possible."

     "I...will...pass..." I say, not really  paying attention anymore. I continue to search through the computer's database. "Come on..."