Chapter 62

The Doctor catches my gaze as he enters the room. I'm not sure who sent him down here, because he showed up alone. "It's been a while," he says to me. I guess that's his way of initiating conversation.

I wait a beat. "Uh...yeah, no," I say, flatly. "Whatever, walk briskly. I'm screwing up your timeline calling you here, so the sooner you can get in and out of here, the better."

"Yes. Quite right, I suppose." He starts. "But...you know, now that I'm here, the TARDIS was giving off rather...odd readings. Is that why you're here?"

"Uh." I shrug, "sort of. I mean, no. I'm being held here against my will." I glare at Kate, but she's not looking at me, so it's just...awkward. "Anyway, that's not your problem. I just needed your expertise. Your purpose is to get into Coma Girl's head—" I pause, "it's weird, for once, to say 'Coma Girl,' and not be referring to myself." I shake my head, "come meet my new friend. Don't talk to anyone, you're not supposed to know anyone here at this point in your life."

"What do you–"

I roll my eyes. "Keep walking. Uh, follow that one. She'll show you the way." I motion towards Dr. Coulson, "she's nice. I think."

I wait a moment for the two of them to leave before awkwardly turning towards Kate. "So...like...can I go now? Because the Doctor might be able to help some, but I don't think there's much else I can do, you know?"

Kate shakes her head, and I let out a heavy sigh. "You have serious charges against yourself. You'll have to give me time to get everything cleared."

"Oh!" I exasperate, "come on, Kate! You know me. You know I wouldn't purposely try to crash a plane with myself on it! I swear, that had nothing to do with me."

"Regardless, we had a deal."

I throw my hands over my head, as if begging for mercy from the gods of unfairness. "Yeah, and the deal was that I would help - asterisk - to the best of my abilities! I got him here, and I know that's really all you wanted. I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't really like it here. I need to get out."

"I'm sorry, there's more pertinent matters at hand." Kate replies. "You'll have to stay here for now." She begins to walk away, back towards the direction of Dr. Coulson and the Doctor.

"Great, but for how long, Kate?" I call. She ignores me. "How long?" I repeat. I shake my head as she goes out of sight. I look back up at the never ending ceiling, which sends a shiver up my spine. I briskly jog after Kate back into the off-white hallway.

~🌺~

"What's that alarm? There's an alarm going off." I hold my head in my hands in an attempt to block out the noise.

"It's nothing that you need to be concerned about." Kate says.

"Yeah, well. Since I'm now low-key being held prisoner down here, I'd like to know."

"And I'm saying that you don't need to –" I uncover my head from my hands to roll my eyes at her, and she sighs loudly. "It's a large facility, Brielle. They test alarms quite often." Just as she says that, the strange, clouded wailing dies down. "Just as I said. It happens automatically."

"I don't like it down here." I blurt out.

"Nobody does."

"No, Kate. I'm in agony. You have me contained in here like a bird with its wings clipped. It's horrible."

"You're going to have to give me time –"

"Oh, save it." I snap.

"You have a history, Brielle. Your file says that if any suspicious activity arises –"