Chapter 50

I change my mind, I want out.

So, I ended up toiling around with the cube containing the coordinates for a while, and finally decided to see where they would take me.

Yeah, well...that was a mistake.

I wasn't expecting to solve a murder in a full-on castle filled with three hundred people.

Well, the good news is I didn't have much difficulty sneaking my way in, seeing as the front of the fortress was wide open, welcoming in guests as a band played music on the lawn.

I wasn't even sure where I was supposed to look, and it felt wrong at that point to go back home, so I did what I thought was the most reasonable thing at that point.

I hid in a broom closet.

And fun fact about the Phidifisions, they are all about space efficiency.

So their closets are...not all that big.

But I don't know what to do at this point. The entire place is scattered with people, it's not like I can do a thorough investigation. Although, I suppose getting out of the closet would be a good start.

I slowly slide the door open, carefully slipping back into the open. I look down at the floor, zig-zagging through pairs (or trios) of feet. My only goal at this point; try not to die.

Which, honestly, I'm not really sure how do-able that's going to be. Because I know tonight is going to end with a murder. The loss of a king.

Death of royalty is almost always fixed points in time, and can't really be changed. But if there is someone here willing to kill a king, they might be willing to kill other people. The only thing I can do at this point is make sure only one person dies tonight...

Then again, I could always go home.

I should go home. I mean, curiosity did not give the cat a nice retirement in the countryside.

But...how did somebody kill someone in such a crowded place and just walk away?

Ugh, I really need to know.

"I'm probably the only person in the universe who gets intrigued by weird murders," I mutter, turning the corner. I glance up long enough to see a long hallway that leads back into the main dining room of the castle.

"Um, I do hope you don't plan on showing your interest in killings tonight. That would make my job much harder."

My head instinctively snaps up, and I see a girl casually leaning against the wall, practically piercing me with her incredibly green eyes. She seems rather calm, considering what I just confessed.

"Yeah, don't worry," I mumble, avoiding eye contact, "I'm not going to be the one...um...never mind." I make a beeline for the end of the hall, but the girl steps in front of me.

"You're very interesting," she notes, her crimson dress swishing around her ankles.

"I'm sure," I take a small step to the side, but she again blocks me from walking away.

"Who are you?" She asks, nonchalantly.

"I'm Bree, and I feel uncomfortable in social settings, so I'm just gonna-" I turn completely around and briskly walk the other way.

"Well, Bree, you are causing me to have concern about tonight's events."

"Well, random person number three, I don't plan on killing anyone, so...there." I can hear her footfall following behind me, so I slightly quicken my pace.