Chapter 23

"So..." The Doctor says, clearly trying to fill the air. This isn't the first time we met up with each other not expecting it. I guess, if you think about it, it's actually pretty likely to happen, considering we are both time travelers, but still...

"Geez Doctor, you scared the life out of me!" I shout.

"I'm sorry! Are you alright?" The tenth Doctor says.

"Yeah, just give me a second to restart my hearts," I mumble sarcastically.

"Uh...so what are you doing here?" He asks.

"I'm assuming the same reason you're here."

"These disappearances are very odd, I had to take a look."

"Ah! So you were the guy the Garcías were talking about. They didn't think you knew what you were doing," I add smugly.

"Oh..." He says, slightly disappointed, "Where's Rose?"

"Rose! Great! I haven't met her yet," I say.

"Really?" He says, surprised, "How early is it for you?"

"Early enough," I say, walking away.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"I don't know, but I know standing here chit-chatting isn't going to help anybody." I hear his footfall behind me, and within seconds he's by my side.

"I promised Rose I would meet her here."

"No problem, we'll just go to her," I say, grabbing his arm.

"Wait-what are you-" But before he can finish his sentence, I already feel the ground falling beneath me.

~🌺~

"I'd appreciate if you would ask before you do something like that."

"Sorry," I say, looking around, "Where are we?"

"You're the one who brought us here," The Doctor says.

"I brought us to Rose's location, that doesn't mean I know where that is."

"Maybe you did it wrong."

"Uh," I say, slightly offended, "I don't ever do it wrong, that's just you." I glance down the unknown street that we traveled to. "I think she's in this house," I say, pointing to a large yellow house.

"What makes you say that?" The Doctor says.

"It's either my Timey-Wimey Senses, or it's the fact that I can see her in the window." I walk up the driveway to the porch of the house, and knock on the door. A young girl peeks through the window, then cracks open the door. "Hello, I'm looking for Rose Tyler. Is she here?"

"Um, yeah, she was just leaving," the girl says, "She came to talk about my brother...he went missing." Just then Rose comes from behind the door. "This girl was looking for you, Rose," the girl says, suddenly looking behind me, "And..who are you?" I turn around and find the Doctor standing at the bottom of the porch.

"I'm the Doctor," he simply says.

"Er...okay...bye Rose."

"Bye Mackenzie, good luck on finding your brother," Rose says as the door closes.

"What did you find?" The Doctor asks.

"Not much, Daniel was out walking with some friends and just vanished."

"There's a lot of vanishing," I verbally note. The Doctor glances at me, and then his eyes fall on Rose.

"Wait! You haven't met Rose yet. Bree this is Rose," he says.

"I've already met-"

"Time travel," I interrupted, "Always leads to awkward social gatherings. Where's the TARDIS?"

"It's down the block, why?" Rose says.

"I'm going to need maps, large maps, and a marker preferably red," I say, walking down the street.

"Um...it's the other way."

"Oh," I say, turning on my heel.

"And...Bree," the Doctor says.

"Hmm?"

"Timey-Wimey Senses?"

"What?" I say, smirking.

~🌺~

"Not everything that happens has to be alien related," Rose says.

"I'm not saying it is, but I'm definitely not saying it isn't," I say, drawing a dot on the map. I stand up, gazing down at my work. "Location and time! Two of the most important things to consider when investigating a crime, so why hasn't anyone caught this?"

"Caught what?" Rose says, glancing over the map.

"Look! If you connect all the locations of where the children went missing, it makes a straight line! Then, although the disappearances span over a month, they all happen around the same time of day, around 8:00pm." I connect all the little dots I drew on the map, and sure enough it makes a perfect line.

"Oh," the Doctor says, suddenly excited, "You're good." He traces the line I just drew with his finger.

"Well, I figured that much out, but I don't know how it all connects."

"I do," the Doctor says, straightening up, "It's a rift, well...sort of. It's a weak point in space and time. They're all over the universe-some weaker than others-this one, though," he points to the bright red line running across the map, "Is one of the weakest ones on Earth. From time to time, things find their way through it, since it's so easy to travel through because it's so weak. But what if something's not trying to come through it? What if someone's breaking things out, children out? But why? Why children?"

Several things suddenly clicked together in my head. "So if you're standing on that line, it's possible then for someone to transport you to wherever they want," I state.

"Yes, but you'd need quite a bit of machinery to do so," the Doctor says.

"Hang on," Rose adds, "You said that they are all disappearing around the same time of day. What if every time around 8:00, someone fires up some transport thing, and at that specific time all the children between the ages of-say ten to fourteen- who are standing on that specific rift, are transported away."

"Yes," I whisper to myself, "I need to see it."

"See what?" The Doctor asks.

"I need to see one of these disappearances, I need to prove these theories."

"You know, this could just be a kidnapper who takes children at around that particular time," Rose says.

"No, this has gotten too specific. Way too specific for this to be human related," I say, thinking. I need to see this happen.

"You can't just go back in time to witness a disappearance, Bree," the Doctor says.

"Why not? You've got a time machine, I can bend around time to my will. I'll hide behind a bush, no one will even know I'm there."

"I'm with her," Rose agrees.

"Mmm...fine," the Doctor finally gives in.

"Good. I think we should look at...uh...at least two disappearances, just to see if there are any more patterns we can make out."

"Okay, I'll take the TARDIS, and Bree can go somewhere else," the Doctor says.

"Perfect," I say, "Rose, do you want to come with me?"

"Yeah, if that's possible."

"Great," I say.

"So Bree," the Doctor says, "Since when could you take other people with you?"

"I don't know," I say, shrugging, "See ya!"

I grab Rose's hand, and focus on my destination, and I feel the rush of the floor disappearing beneath me.