Chapter 31

"I would like us to open one door, just one door, and have it be a pretty meadow or something that we frolic through. Why does it need to be like this?" I mumble, gazing out into the meteor shower that is coming down barely two feet in front of me. "Did anyone bring their meteor umbrella with them?"

"No."

"Fun. Okay...so there are three of us...so that would mean that maybe...one person would survive? But the chances of that person...divide by Pi over two...carry over the one...yeah...we're going to need a new plan," I say.

"There's got to be an answer," the Doctor says, "otherwise, what is the point of this whole thing?"

"Well, I'm pretty sure the point is to get us killed before we get up there, but you know..." I say.

"Ooh, I don't know about you guys, but I'm sensing a pattern here," Clara says.

"Where?" I ask.

"You...really don't see it," she states, "you two and your alien-ness are missing the big picture! No two rocks are landing in the same spot."

"Oh," I say. "So...now what?"

"We wait," Clara says.

"Uh...shoot." I always thought of me and the Doctor as polar opposites. But, if we share one thing in common, it's we both have the patience of a toddler.

~🌺~

"Make. It. Stop." I cry, making snowless snow angels in the red carpet.

"Bree, it's been five minutes," Clara says.

"How do you humans sit here and wait for everything? It's so dull," the Doctor says.

"Can you two just calm down?"

"No," I say, "He has the TARDIS, and I'm a walking time machine. Neither of us really have - nor like - to wait things out. There's things I could be doing right now! I could invent a new color, sew a quilt, discover a new planet. But here I am, just sitten' here....hey! There's a path. I'm going."

I snap to my feet and jump onto the smoking meteors. I straight up Power Ranger over the rocks, somehow avoiding mortal injury. "Yes, freedom!" I screech, once I've reached the other side. "Are you two coming or not?"

"Hang on!" Clara calls.

"Nope, not happening. I'm gonna see what the next door holds for us." I jog up to the stained glass door, and I crack it open a few inches. "No...no..."

"What?" A voice says from behind me.

"Doctor, I don't care how old I am, I'm to young to die!"

"What is it?" Clara asks, concerned.

"People," I whisper.

"Sorry, what?" Clara asks, tilting her head.

"It's a room, and it's full of people."

"Are they...are they dangerous?"

"No, but...they're people, man! I'd rather take on the entire Dalek empire than step a foot in there!"

"So you're scared of people," Clara states.

"In my defense, one did try to put a bullet through me. No, correction, actually put a bullet through me! I have my rights. Back me up, Doctor."

"Yes...humans, scary, ah," the Doctor says, with about as much enthusiasm as a...uh...what has little enthusiasm? A rock? No, that would be an insult to rocks. The last thing I want is to be on a rock's bad side. They are handy little creatures.

"See?" I say, anyway.

"That doesn't count, he's scared of you, you could get him to do whatever you want," Clara smirks.

"Oh," I say, a smile slowly spreading on my face, "do I scare you, Doctor?"

"What? No!" He says, too quickly.

"Interesting," I say. I must keep this in mind.

"Shut up."

"O-kay." Awkward silence.

"You're really scared of people," Clara breathes.

"I'm not 'scared' of them," I say, using air quotes, "more as, I don't like them."

"Wow, thanks."

"Oh, don't take it personally. Once an introvert always an introvert. Why do think I've been staying at 'stained clothes are us'? You think this shirt was always purple? I could leave at any time, but I like it, it's quiet."

"It's not healthy, though," Clara adds.

"Mm, you should of seen me as a human. All work, no play, no humor. Sad times, those were."

"This is really great and all," the Doctor interrupts, "but, I would kind of like to go now."

"Sure, after you. Have fun, Doctor. I'm sure you'll enjoy this as much as I do." He stares at me, and I squint my eyes back at him.

"That's it, I'm going. Thanks for the freebie, Bree," Clara says, and then she's swallowed into the horde.

"Fine. Fine! If the only thing I get out of this is to face this stupid fear, so be it," I huff, and run into the room as if I were about to run though a sprinkler. I immediately run face first into someone's side, and I almost apologize, but you know what? These people aren't real, so there is no way I'm treating them like they are.

"Get out of the way! Hey, move it, orange shirt! I'm kinda tryin' to save the universe here!" I make it to the end and I practically throw myself through the door. "Never again, Clara. Never. Again."

"Whatever floats your boat," Clara says, as the Doctor appears from the crowd.

"You know what? I'm proud of myself. Who knew this thing would become this whole self discovery journey? Thanks for inviting me," I say, smiling cheerily, and skipping over-enthusiastically to the next door. "This door's got a skull on it? Who wants to go through the room with the skull on it? I know I do!" I sing. I twist the crystal doorknob and throw the door open.

I'm suddenly standing next to Clara and the Doctor, panting. Oh, I should add I'm in a completely different checkpoint room or whatever you want to call it.

"What just happened?" Clara asks.

"Who knows!" I snap. "Woah, sorry. I don't know where that came from."

"We made it through that room, but why don't we remember how?" The Doctor asks.

"Uh, yeah...I'm pretty sure we all know. I mean, let's get real here. Sudden mood changes, memory loss, we've all dealt with this before...right? I have tally marks on my arm, for Pete's sake! Think about poor Pete! I don't even have a marker! Well, I don't remember, so let's just high five, be glad we survived, and hit the highway!" I say, humming 'We're Off to See the Wizard', followed by a pathetic little hop.

~🌺~

Oh, guys!

I'm so sorry for the long gap! I had a sudden writer's block, but I'm good now!

I do 100% make this up as I go...I mean, I have no idea what's going to happen in the next chapter, it seriously comes to me as I go. It. Creeps. Me. Out. I don't think I have control over this. What if the Silence are making me write this? Great, now I'm even more paranoid.

Have fun, kids!