Chapter 29

My mind skids to a halt, "Why?" Of all the things I've ever done, this one is up there with the worst things I could possibly ever do. "What's in it, anyway?"

Clara purses her lips, "We...don't know."

"Mm, well, of course you don't. But, you see, I can't help but wonder why we have reason to break in."

"Supposedly, the most evil being of all eternity is held inside. At least, that's what it says on the sign on the door," the Doctor says.

"Sorry, I'm lost," I say, shaking my head, "This thing is obviously contained, what is your reasoning to break in to the place?"

"I've been getting...unusual readings from inside. Whatever the thing is, it's doing something out of the ordinary," the Doctor says.

"Okay, so...what? You want to break into the place, find the creature - or, whatever it is - slap it's wrist, and then leave? Am I allowed to ask why?"

"No. Are you coming or not?"

I turn to Clara, and she mouths 'he's bored'. I shut my eyes to keep from glaring at him.

"Fine. What do you need me for, anyway?"

"The TARDIS won't enter the structure, so I need you to get us in."

"Doctor," I say, pinching the bridge of my nose, "You have a straight up living TARDIS, so why...why do you always choose to go places that the TARDIS cannot go?"

"Let's go, we don't have time," he says, walking out of the room.

"You. Have. A. Time machine! We have all the time in the world. But I don't care. Yeah! Go ahead and be all mysterious with your mysteriousness, you go get the TARDIS, I'm staying in here where it's nice and dry...okay maybe it's not. But it's worse out there! So, yeah!" I look over at Clara who's staring at me with deep concern. "It's been a while since I've seen actual like - you know - living beings, and no offense to him, but he's probably not my first choice in people at the moment."

"Okay..." is all she says.

"Yep," I say, "Going on an adventure through the most dangerous place in the universe to visit the most dangerous being in the universe. What could go wrong?"

~🌺~

"I changed my mind, take me home," I say, craning my neck up to see the top of the building. "This practically screams, 'Doors to your doom.'"

"This thing has enough power to destroy entire galaxies, we need to make sure it's not trying to do so," the Doctor says.

"But, aren't there guards? Wouldn't there be people here to make sure it doesn't get out?"

"Fully automated. Well..."

"Well? Well what?"

"Supposedly, there are things inside, guarding the creature."

"Great."

"If it makes you feel any better, the building itself it supposedly worse than the creature."

"That doesn't, thanks. Has anyone ever made it through this thing alive?"

"Possibly. What's your idea of 'alive?'"

"You sure are good at these persuasive speeches, aren't you? Whatever let's go."

"Once we go in, it's going to be hard to get out."

"Why?"

"You'll find out."

"Great," I repeat, "Just...great."