Chapter 51

"Well...what do you think?"

"What do I think?" I echo, shaking my head, "pfft, I don't know, man. It looks like a dead guy to me."

"Bree...don't," the Doctor says, and I reflexively roll my eyes.

"I'm just saying."

"Guys?" Martha interrupts, "could you maybe not do that right now?"

"Yeah, sure." I say, looking down at the body sprawled across the floor. "So, who's our new friend?"

"I'm not sure," Martha answers, "he was like that when I found him."

"So, what do we do now?" I ask,"do we get everyone out? I mean, the whole point was that we kept everyone else safe, and we failed pretty spectacularly at that."

"Right," Martha agrees, "well, everyone should leave."

"But, I mean, they also kind of...can't." I mumble.

"Why not?" Donna asks, "someone just died, I'm sure they'll all be happy to run out of here."

"Because the king has to die." I say, "it's a fixed point in time."

"Well, how could you possibly know that?" Donna asks.

"I know because it is. When someone of high power dies - especially a king or a queen - it's a big deal. You can't just...fix it. And besides, if we saved him, we'd be creating a paradox in time because the only reason we're here is because we were told he was dead, yadda yadda yadda, et cetera, et cetera."

"What?"

"She does have a point," the Doctor says.

"Of course I do," I say, rolling my eyes.

"So," Martha starts,"we can't tell anyone what's happening, we want to save as many people as possible, but we also need to let the king die...how exactly is this supposed to work?"

"Obviously, it's not," Donna groans.

"Haha, yeah," I say,"I'm not really sure about that part yet. I will get back to you guys on that." I look closer at the corpse, then the door...and then back to the dead body. I decide something is not right. "Anyway...so Martha, you found this dead guy in here? Like you didn't move him?"

"No. Why would I do that?"

"Nothing it's just - now that I'm looking at it, I don't think he died in here. He's splayed out too irregularly. I think...he was dragged here. Martha, you're a doctor...like a real one," I glare at the Doctor. "So, how long would you say this guy's been dead?"

"Not long, most likely a few minutes."

"And he probably died due to...head trauma, I'm guessing?"

"Yeah...what are you getting at?"

"I'm working up to that. Now, look at his uniform. His badge number means he's some form of...security, I'm pretty sure. Um, hang on." I walk towards the door, and check to be certain no one is walking past before sliding out and examining the hallway.

I crouch down to study the floor, scanning my eyes over its surface. I lightly run my fingers over two indents in the carpet. I walk a few more feet and find two more.