Chapter 24

Chapter 24

* Sidhanth *

The maid greeted us with analytic eyes going over us from top to bottom. She was the maid, right? What else could she be? I looked at her quizzically, her attention was on Aneesha now. I turned to see, what had caught the woman's undivided attention. 

Damn

It was Anni's bare long legs. They were so long and well toned. I could literally imagine them around my waist. Sexy scene! I heard her clear her throat and that's when it dawned upon me that I had been shameless gawking at her legs.

I met her eyes and she narrowed her eyes at me and then turned to the woman. I followed her gaze. 

"You two are married?" She asked. I looked at her dumbfounded. 

"Yes." Aneesha answered.

"Sure, know?" She spoke looking at Anni doubtfully. 

"Yeah." Anni answered defensively. Now, she was looking at the woman with a suspicious eye.

The woman looked at me. Probably seeking a confirmation. "Yeah." I muttered.

"Do you have proof?" The woman asked. I looked at Anni bewildered. What on earth was happening? Weren't we supposed to be asking her for proof that she is genuine citizen and be seeing her Aadhar card or something?

"Of course" Anni replied.

"Can you show?" The maid asked hesitantly. "Actually the last house I worked at, had two people. A couple like you two, young and..." Her gaze went back to Aneesha's legs. "--Modern. They said they were married and  I believed. But three months later I came to know they were not. They had ran away and were living together. Their parents came. There was big drama. Because of them, in the maids community my reputation came down. That's why I am asking for proof." She finished, her gaze going beyond us.

I turned to Aneesha. 

She held up her hand showing her ring to the woman.

"Anyone can wear that. My school going daughter also wears, she gets those thin ones for ten rupees in the market." The lady giggled.

I folded my arms,  tight-lipped, while Aneesha disappeared into the room and returned with a framed wedding photograph and her name change affidavit copy. She walked past me to the woman and showed her the photograph. It was gifted by my parents to us, but since she had taken it in her hand it had become hers. It had me and her in the centre with my parents and her mother on either side. While the maid analysed the photo, I noticed that Anni now had the nuptial chain around her neck. I smiled. She should wear that often, it looked nice. 

"Convinced?" She asked the woman.

"How long has it been?" The maid further asked, looking at Aneesha and then me. I was under the imoression that we were supposed to interview her. But she was interviewing us, strangely.