Chapter 31 - Gone

On Tuesday I went to school and everyone acted as if nothing happened. I guess the word hasn’t gotten around yet that I was nearly kidnapped by some psycho who killed my baby and wants me back.

Only 2 of my 6 periods I had with Zayn, which I suppose was a good thing since the 2 periods we were together we couldn’t stop talking and we got in trouble several times by teachers telling us to focus. After school, Zayn and I made our way to the police station where they interviewed us separately. I asked them on how Josh managed to get away but they didn’t tell me anything. They assured me that I was safe and that he was locked up.

I was relieved when it was over. My Dad had been really worried the past few hours after I told him everything that happened yesterday and he wouldn’t let me leave his sight once. He offered to drive me back and forth but I insisted that I was safe. Zayn on the other hand wasn’t, and I didn’t know that until it was too late.

On Wednesday I came to school by myself without a problem. I expected Zayn to already be there by now but I couldn’t find him anywhere on the school grounds. I decided to call his mobile but he didn’t pick up, it just kept ringing and ringing and ringing. I tried his home phone but the same thing happened.

I had no idea where he was. He usually would just mention something about where he’s going just to give me a piece of mind, but he never mentioned that he wasn’t coming to school. I was getting a little worried and stressing myself out that he was hurt or that Josh got hold of him, but I reminded myself that he was locked up so it couldn’t have been him. But as usual, I was doing what I do best; making up troubles from nothing. Perhaps I was just being a clingy and over protective girlfriend?

I proceeded the day as usual except I left Zayn voicemails in between periods. I was searching through my brain trying to remember wether he said anything about leaving to go somewhere, but nothing came to mind. The even stranger thing was that whenever I called him, he didn’t decline, it didn’t go straight to voice mail; it would just keep ringing until eventually I got to voicemail. Perhaps he left his phone at home? I wasn’t sure.

Zayn never came to school. When the bell went I walked home with my phone in my hand texting him for the hundredth time. I felt a little bit clingy and I thought I should’ve left it by now, but I just couldn’t push passed the fact that something might’ve happened to him. I don’t blame myself though, after all the stuff I’ve been through I’ve become paranoid.

I arrived home and Zayn was still dwelling on my mind. He was always on my mind. Now that Zayn and I are together I’ve only just realized how much I actually liked him, it’s almost like an obsession. I couldn’t concentrate on any of my homework so eventually I decided to go visit his house.  

I’ve only ever been to Zayn’s house a few times, but not that much. His home was always busy with his sisters and his parents, unlike me; an only child who only lives with my dad that anyway works 24/7.

I started walking in the direction Zayn’s house was. It wasn’t far from mine. Usually when Zayn and I are walking home together we come to a Y stop and he turns into the right road instead of the left because he always stays at my place for a bit. This time, I went up his road. It was very different from the road where the apartment building was. This one was much denser with trees and bush. I walked along a path which was following the same route as a little creek. At one point the creek and the path split into 2 separate ways.

When I arrived at Zayn’s house it was empty too. Hmm. His parents must be at work and his sisters are probably at a friend’s house.

 When I walked back home I decided to check out the creek. I knew further up ahead was a picturesque little bridge, and I remember Zayn took me here when it was good weather and we had a picnic.