Chapter 22 - Payphone

After I got changed, Josh was sitting on the couch watching on the big TV in the main room. I sat myself next to him. The channel was on MTV and ‘Payphone’ by Maroon 5 started playing.

“I love this song!” I exclaimed, leaning my head on Josh’s shoulder. He tensed up as if he felt uncomfortable. “It’s my ringtone.”

“What is the meaning of the song? I never really paid attention.” Josh said.

“I’m not sure, but Adam Levine looks way hotter when he’s not covered in blood and dirt,” I commented

“Hey!! I should be the only hot guy in your life,” Josh said and nuzzled my neck. His breath made my skin tickle, and I tried wriggling out of his arms which were around me.

“A relationship that ended abruptly,” I pointed out. “I think the song is talking about a chick and a guy, and then something like sort of snapped and then their relationship is falling apart for no apparent reason.”

Josh nodded. He changed the channel to something else and we ended up watching a really old movie, which was still in black and white. I observed as much as possible about the movie, and I was surprised to how good it actually was. The setting took place in Germany, and a man had just come home from war to his pregnant wife who was having an affair. The wife wasn’t pregnant with the guy she had an affair with, but with her husband. The couple tried working it out, for the baby’s sake but they would always end up fighting, smashing glasses and exchanging harsh words. When the baby was due the wife decided to kill it off, and she ran away with the guy she originally had an affair with. The husband went back to war but soon ended up being killed. It was actually a really sad movie, I was crying almost the entire time and I think at one point Josh was tearing up too!

10 minutes after the movie ended, Dad came home. He was unpleasantly surprised seeing Josh. Dad always liked Josh, but when I got pregnant I don’t think he can ever look at Josh the same. Josh could feel the awkward tension and by 5:45pm he went home.

“Dad. Can you give Josh a break? I saw the way you were eyeing him, and the tone you used on him. Cut him some slack, he’s not exactly going through the best of times right now.” I mentioned.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He said stubbornly, not looking up from making his sandwich. I rolled my eyes at him and went into my room.

I tried calling Josh, but he declined. Several times. I know he was in the car driving, but he has a hand less set. I texted him instead telling him to call me and while waiting for the call I did my homework. I was doing better in school than I did last term which is a shocker considering of my situation right now. Half an hour later my phone started ringing and “Payphone” played. Finally, Josh is calling me. I picked up, not bothering looking at the caller ID and I was surprised to hear Zayn’s voice.

“Oh hi Zayn!”

“Hey! Have you done your homework?”

“Doing it right now. Oh my gosh, guess what? The entire time you and I were outside the door, Josh was inside the apartment.”

“WHAT? What did he say to you? Are you hurt? Let me come over.”

“Wait, Zayn, wait. He didn’t know. He knew nothing. He was in my room watching TV he heard and saw nothing. I’m safe, don’t worry. It can’t happen again though. I’ve been through it with you before,”

“Yes I know, I’m sorry I’m putting you at risk. Forgive me?”

“Aw, you’re cute,” I could feel myself blushing. “And yes of course. Just…I don’t want Josh to get hurt. I have to get back to my homework. I’ll see ya tomorrow ok?”