Chapter 29 - Friendship Bracelet

When Dad came home I told him about the great news. Zayn was still here standing behind me awkwardly twiddling his thumbs.

“That’s amazing sweetie! Sounds like you pretty much remembered everything. I think this is a call for take out! Would you like to come, Zayn?” Dad announced.

Zayn replied, “I’d love to, but I have to get going. End of year 11, I’ve got heaps of studying and stuff. But thank you anyway Jarrod.”

“That’s a shame. Anyway, thanks for keeping my daughter happy. You’re a good kid.”

I face palmed at my dad’s cheesy remark. I followed Zayn to the door way where he kissed me a bit longer than quickly. I said good bye and watched him go down the stairs. Once he was out of sight I went back to the apartment and helped Dad make dinner.

“So this boy…do you like him?” Dad questioned, trying to make a conversation.

“Yeah. You could say that.” I replied bluntly. I was bracing myself and getting ready for “the talk.” It really wasn’t necessary since I first began dating Josh mum had already had “the talk” with me. Clearly, it wasn’t all that effective though. I got pregnant and has a miscarriage.

“Do you love him?”

“Yes, no doubt. But I’m scared. I know Zayn’s not going to hurt me, he said to my face he’d take a bullet for me. But some people can change. I mean, I thought Josh was the most…”

I couldn’t finish my sentence. I just stood there wiping the tears off my cheeks which did not occur from the onions I was cutting.

“It’s okay honey. You and I are kind of in the same boat. I suppose we’re both afraid of loving again because we think we might get hurt.”

“Yeah, I guess so. But Zayn’s different. And I know this sounds totally cliché and blah blah blah. Since day one. Since the first time I laid my eyes on him something popped.” I responded.

“Now don’t get all lovey dovey. I’m a guy, I don’t know how to reply to these things. Just, word of advice: Don’t repeat your mistakes. Use protection. This Zayn boy always is kissing you, holding your hand, has his arms around me. It’s weird.”

“Uh..,thanks Dad. This has been sufficiently awkward enough. You can make the rest of the dinner while I have a shower and study.” I ended the conversation and hurried off before Dad could utter another word.

Later on that evening I invited Zayn over on Saturday for a study session. He could revise what he’s learnt so far by teaching me everything I have forgotten. We obviously wouldn’t spend the entire time studying. We’d probably get lunch and squish in a movie in between whilst dad was at work.

When the time finally came around I heard the faint knocking on the door. I was in leggings and a baggy black jumper that had some faded writing on it. Zayn had his hair in a quiff and wore jeans with a plaid shirt. Clearly he hadn’t put much effort in his appearance, but he still looked so fine. I invited him inside and we began to study. For about an hour we studied solidly until our stomachs began to rumble and hunger got the better of us. We couldn’t be bothered going out to McDonald’s and buying something so we decided to make lasagne.

“So, how do we begin?” He asked.

“I’m not sure. I suppose we get cheese and stuff and just fill it in a platter,”

“Okay. I’ll go grab the flour,”

“Okay. Wait. Why do we need flour?” I asked puzzled.

 “I’m not sure. For the pasta sheets I guess,” He shrugged. I started gathering the ingredients and every few moments I asked him what we would need because I wasn’t 100% sure.