Chapter 30 - Unexpected

Monday morning I was walking to school by myself. I had my backpack filled with my finished homework and textbooks and I was holding a little gift for Zayn in return for his bracelet. I was in a particular happy mood since I remembered everything relevant in my life and that my amnesia is as good as gone. Nearly.

The morning was cloudy and quite cold, but you couldn’t feel it since there wasn’t a single breeze and it was hardly noticeable. The atmosphere was dull, gloomy and grey but my mood was rather excited for school this week, which doesn’t really make sense since I honestly hate everyone except for a handful of people.

I had been walking for about 5 minutes when I realized a black VMW was following me about 20 metres behind. I pulled up my hoodie, got a better grip on my present and my backpack and started walking a bit faster. I had only 10 more mins of walking to do before I would be safe in the school grounds, except I didn’t know if I could lose the car behind me.

I turned into an unfamiliar road instead of my usual route hoping I would lose the car, but when I turned around it was even closer than before. My heart rate sped up and I was nearly running. I turned randomly into more roads, streets and courts until I found myself in a dead end. I was trapped at the end of the road which had 3 run down houses and an overgrown block of land. The car drove passed me and then parked opposite the empty block of land. I turned back around and headed off for the opposite direction when someone called my name.

“Hope! Wait!”

I turned around and I saw a tanned, muscular boy with blond hair and freckles. Josh. My heart skipped an unnatural beat and my breathing picked up. My knees started shaking and I had to steady myself. I was absolutely terrified.

“Hope. I’m not going to hurt you.” Josh said coldly but calmly as he stepped out of the car and approached me. I swallowed and tried to tell Josh to stay away, but my throat was dry and I couldn’t say a single word. “Do you like my new car? I stole it.”

I stared at him in shock and I was frozen. It felt like the blood in me turned cold and I felt a shiver down my spine.

“Why are you here?” I squeaked quietly.

“Hope, I still love you. I wanted to see my girlfriend.” He said in a little too friendly voice.

“I thought you were in …” I tried to say but my throat closed in and I even struggled to breathe.

“Jail?” Josh finished my sentence. I glared at him unable to speak. “Yeah. I’m supposed to. No one knows where I am. The cops are looking for me. Which is why I stole this car, they’ll have a hard time looking for me.” He whispered quietly.

I nodded in disbelief. I was going to die. I could feel it. My fingers trembled and I could feel tears pricking my eyes.

“What do you want?” I quivered.

“Naw Hope. You have such beautiful eyes. Don’t cry.” Josh said as he wiped the tears streaming down my face with his thumb. I was frozen in place and I couldn’t find the courage to shake his hand off me. “I’ve come here you to take you with me. We’re meant to be. Come with me and we can run away together. I love you so much. You’re so gorgeous, Hope.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. He wanted me back?! Is he mental?!

“Don’t touch me.” I said under my breath.

“What did you say, pretty?” Josh said in an overly friendly voice.

“I said: Don’t touch me.” I spat out menacingly.

“But you’re my girlfriend.”

“I’m not your anything. Go away Josh, I don’t want you back.”