Chapter 24 - I'm Zayn

(Zayn’s POV)

I was sitting on chair by Hope’s bed squeezing her hand and wishing for a slight movement in her face. It was over an hour ago when I got a phone call from Hope’s mother, Mariah, telling me Hope has been hurt. When I answered the phone, Mariah explained to me she was at the hospital and that Hope was injured. Mariah said to me I was in Hope’s “Favourite Contacts” so Mariah thought it would’ve been good to let me know, but it wasn’t. Every minute I spent knowing Hope might not have wake up killed me.

I was in Hope’s room at the hospital having my own time with her. She was still in a coma and the doctor said she should wake up within the next 4 hours. I started to pace around the room, but it was no use.

Mariah, Lorrie, the man who saw Hope dying on the footpath who was named Jake and Hope’s father, Jarrod, were in the waiting room either half asleep or worrying their brains out.

It was 1am in the morning. My eyelids were heavy but I had to be awake when Hope opened her eyes again. Besides, I wouldn’t be able to sleep knowing Hope could’ve died. The doctor said she had severe bruising on her brain, 2 broken ribs, a broken arm … and a miscarriage. The police contacted Josh’s parents, but according to them he never returned.

My body shook in rage. It just wasn’t fair. It was my fault. If I never tempted Hope, Josh would’ve never seen and Hope would be safe with her baby. Which was now dead.

When I first arrived at the hospital, Hope was in surgery unconscious. The doctors were giving her a D&C, which means they used a special tool to take out the foetus. They cleaned her up, washed her clothes, bandaged her and put a cast around her broken bones.

I sat gently on Hope’s bed, stroking her cheeks. Her face was sweaty. Her eyes shut and her expression looked disturbed.

Everything is unfair. First, Hope and I couldn’t have what we both wanted: Each other. Then she gets pregnant…and now she’s lying bruised in a hospital.

“Hope. Please wake up. Do you want me to sing for you? I would’ve brought Niall along with me to play his guitar but…” I whispered to her. My voice broke and I cried. I don’t know what I would do with myself if Hope never wakes up. I cleared my throat and started singing a song that seemed to have fit the situation quite perfectly. Ed Sheeran had always been my inspiration.

“'Cause you are my one and only,

You can wrap your fingers round my thumb and hold me tight.” I sang softly to her.

“You are my one and only.

You can wrap your fingers round my thumb and hold me tight.

And you'll be alright.”

I was nearly in tears again, but I swore I just saw Hope’s plump, pink lips twitch.

“Hope? Hope, can you hear me? Hope, if you can hear me please open your eyes.” I pleaded, grabbing both her hands. I waited a minute, but there was no improvement. I wiped the tears from my eyes. With my voice just above a whisper, I was quivering the last part of Small Bump.

“You’re just a small bump unborn for four months then torn from life.

Maybe you were needed up there but we're still unaware as why.”

Tears streamed down my face. I got up and slowly made my way towards the exit door. Just as I was about to turn the knob, the monitor in the corner of the room started to beep more increasingly, and her heart rate sounded more consistent and normal.

“Hope?”

Her body shifted and I quickly called the others. Together the 5 of us rushed to her bed anxiously waiting for her to open her eyes.