Chapter 25 - Starting All Over Again

(Zayn’s POV)

The following Monday, I dropped by the hospital to check up on Hope. I saw Mariah at the café ordering a cofee, and I approached her.

“Hi Zayn! Good to see you today, how are you?” Mariah whispered.

“Hi Mariah! I’m coping. Is Hope alright? How’s her memory?”

“Her memory is vague. She has like visions or something every now and then. She’s still a bit shocked and in a daze.”

We talked a bit more, and I found out that Mariah was sleeping over at the hospital to accompany Hope. I left her to it and made my way to Hope’s room.

I was outside the room 196, and I knocked on it. I heard Hope call “come in” and as I walked inside Hope’s room I saw she was still lying in bed helpless and in pain, but the colour had returned to her face and the eye bags had vanished.

“Hi…Zayn is it?” Hope greeted me as she looked up from her book she was reading.

“Yep, you got that right. How are your stomach and your broken ribs?” I said softly. I put the bouquet of flowers for Hope on her table along with her other many gifts. I took a seat on her bed and I was so used and comfortable around Hope, I had to remind myself it would put Hope in an awkward position if I kissed her on the cheek, stroked her hair or called her “sweetie.”

“Um, they’re numb and throbbing.” She replied.

“What are you reading?”

The Host by Stephenie Meyer.”

“Oh really? I’ve read that book. It’s really good, one of my favourites.” I said, trying to make conversation. It was weird talking to Hope now. It’s like she was a different person.

“Do you like reading?”

“I don’t hate it, but it’s not my favourite hobby.” I remarked with a smile. “I prefer singing and playing with my band.”

“You sing? What kind of music? Please don’t tell me you sing rock or heavy metal. I hate that stuff.” Hope added.

“Hahaha no, no. I sing a lot of pop. I write a few of my own songs.”

“Can you sing for me?” Hope asked. I was taken by surprise. I didn’t expect her to be so straightforward, but I could tell by the shimmer in her eyes she was curious to find out about me…and hopefully remember me soon. I agreed and started to sing ‘More Than This’.

“I’m broken,

Do you hear me?

I’m blinded ‘cause you are everything I see.”

I sang some more and watched her facial expressions observe everything. It looked like she was trying to remember something, and I just continued singing.

When he opens his arms and holds you close tonight –“ I started to sing the chorus, but then I stopped. Hope interrupted me, and took over singing the rest of the song.

“It just won’t feel right,

‘cause I can love you more than this,”

Hope’s voice was sweet and soft, and when she sung her tone reached a bit higher than usual. She wasn’t a bad singer at all. I had never heard Hope previously sing before. I joined her singing, and we kind of made a duet. We didn’t sound like Susan Boyle singing with Michael Buble, but we didn’t suck either. As we finished the chorus we fell into silence.