Chapter 2 - He has a girlfriend?

I arrived at school Monday morning greeted by the usual happy chap, Josh. He gave me a peck on the lips which only reminded me of the kiss a few nights ago and the guilt made my stomach stir, but that wasn't the only thing. Thank god Lorrie hadn’t seen the kiss with Zayn and me, she would’ve hinted something at Josh. As much as I love and trust her, some secrets are better kept to yourself. Josh was tall and skinny, with really tanned skin from all the sports he did whilst playing in the sun. He had brown hair that was touched with a bit of gold, and he had a few freckles sprinkled across his cheeks. 

“You seem off today, you ok?”  Josh commented. I decided to come clean since there was no point avoiding it.

“Dad’s got a new job…in the city. I’m moving into the city by the end of the week. Or I could stay here with my mother and my step dad who is an absolute ass, but you see that's not happening,” I sighed. I sat on a seat and buried my face into my hands. It's half way through year 11, I shouldn't be moving schools at this time during exams and everything. It was half way through Term 2, it would've been the tiniest bit more convenient if it was the end of the term or semester.

There was nothing else to talk about. We tried avoiding talking about it as much as possible and naturally Josh and I spent plenty of time together since I wasn’t going to see him as often now. He was talking about how me moving to a new school won’t be all that bad and he pointed out every single positive thing about moving. That's one of the best qualities with Josh. He can make you feel like the most wanted and loved girl in the world. He made me happy when I should've been sitting in a corner crying. 

 ~

My new school was crappy. No denying. The uniforms looked like yellow tea towels and a majority of the girls turned the dress into a top according to the lengths. I have nothing against Asians either, but a little fact is that 1 third of the school were asians, and only a quarter of that third spoke english. Great. Lucky for me I took Chinese for a few years.

The first periods were absolutely horrible. New faces, new teachers and a whole bunch of non-English speaking Asians in between. First period sucked, and so did the second. Each period the teachers would prod me with questions on where I came from, why I moved  and I wasn't really a type of girl who liked a lot of attention. I was usually really focused on my learning, I never dawdled or sat at the back of the class daydreaming. But most of Monday in school, that was exactly what I was doing.  It had only been last Friday since I saw Josh, but I longed for him to comfort me in this dull and gloomy school where everyone stared at me as if there was something on my face. Everybody was anti-social; they sat on their phones texting or chatting on facebook. I tried to make friends but they pushed me away since they already had their own groups to hang out with.

In third period I sat down in a chair at the back of the class waiting for my history teacher to drone on about stuff that happened hundreds of years ago. I waited for someone to tap on the shoulder and say "excuse, I was going to sit there" or "could please move over so my friend could sit in your seat?" since that was what happened in the other 2 periods, but instead a familiar figure took a seat beside me. 

“Look at who it is!” He said.

“Zayn! Oh my god, what are you doing here?”  I felt my face and mood immediately brighten as I saw  his face. His features were exactly as I remembered it a few nights ago; long eye lashes, perfect jaw line and those lips that I knew too well about.

“Aha, I go to school here. So you are the new girl I’ve heard people talk about? I’m glad. We could do with another pretty, non-obese or Asian girl in this school,” He smiled sweetly at me. I gulped, he called me pretty. The sound of his voice was relaxing to listen to, and his tinkling laugh made my heart expand.

“You have no idea how glad I am to see you, in the morning I knew no-“ I began before an annoying high pitched voice interrupted me.

“Babe, sit next to me!” the girl said.The words were spoken by someone who had long, chocolate brown and damaged hair which was pure white at the bottom due to split ends.

Just as well, her hair was dead straight. Her face was orange with make up and her nose seemed just as fake as her boobs, with a diamond stud shining strongly. The girl glared at me once she saw me. Oh, another skank I thought.

“Oh, Hope. This is Delta-“ Zayn was cut off by the girl who wore more make up than she did clothes.

“I’m his girlfriend.” She said as quickly as she glanced at me in an unfriendly manner.

A wave of jealousy rushed over me. I hate her, and all I know is her name. I thought it was perfectly normal, I mean, wouldn’t you get jealous of a girl who has a boyfriend who looked like he was carved by angels?

I shook my head. I shouldn’t be thinking like this, I have Josh and our relationship is perfectly fine. At least I think so. A thought struck me, did she know about me and Zayn's kiss? Nah couldn't be it, she doesn't even know who I am. 

“I’m Hope,” I forced a smile and put my hand out as a gesture to shake. Delta just stared at it as if my hand was a dead rat.  I quickly took my hand back and paid attention to the instructions my history teacher was barking at the class.

Delta seemed like one of those clingy girlfriends. She seemed to have everything against, which is odd because all she knew was my name. I think. When ever a breathed a word to Zayn she eyed my like I was stealing him off her, and she was giving out death stares freely. There was no doubt I disliked her, and quite frankly I don't think she liked me the slightest bit either. After school she was luckily picked up by her father, I couldn't bare being with her as we walked home together. She only lived a few minutes away from my family's apartment. I pretty much was tagging along Zayn and Delta all day. Just like when I was at the bar with Niall and Lorrie, I thought. Then I once more remembered the kiss between Zayn and I. I wonder if he too remembered that moment, I wonder if he would like to re-live it as much as I would. I wanted to slap myself. What am I doing? Why do I think like this?

Zayn offered to walk me home, he seemed to have known the area pretty well. We talked about school and I asked more than too many questions about him and Delta. They had been going out for about 3 months, and he said he was pretty happy with her. I didn't have the guts to ask him if he told her about our kiss, but he could practically see the words forming at the tip of my tongue.

"I never told  her you know. About our kiss," Zayn said as we finally reached the door of my apartment.

“Oh ok. I was starting to think she didn't like me because she knew," I replied. I would've aplogized for kissing him, but the funny thing was, I wasn't. Kissing him was the most exciting thing that has happened for a while.

"Nah, she's always been a little defensive over me. Which I think is a good thing, that's kind of how I know she cares."

"Yeah,” I said. “Thanks for keeping me company today, I really needed it. I wouldn’t know what to have done without you.”

“Aha it’s ok,” he smiled at me.

The already awkward moment turned even worse when he bent down to hug me, but I went and kissed him on the cheek. Zayn looked at me, a bit shocked.

“I..uh…I better go.” Without another word, I quickly went inside, shut the door and just leaned on it for a moment. The award goes to me for being the awkwardest person in history, I thought.