Chapter 4 - Thoughts

As the usual routine proceeded, school finished, Delta’s father picked her up and Zayn walked me home. Throughout the entire time I had the thought of Delta and Jimmy  in the back of my head. I already know Delta was stupid, but would she be stupid enough to cheat on her boyfriend who just happened to have a face carved by angels and a personality derived from God with a teacher?!

Zayn chatted happily to me but I could barely pay attention. It wasn't my problem, it was Delta's but it was still a hugr dilemma. Should I say something to him? Should I say something to Delta? Am I completely wrong? I had too many questions to focus on a single word Zayn was saying. 

“Hope?" He snapped his fingers in my face, ripping me straight out of my thoughts.

"Huh? Yeah that's great," I replied dumbfoundedly.

"I just told you a problem I'm having witht he boys and I about our band and you said 'that's great.' Are you alright? You're incredibly distracted."

“Oh…nah it's fine. I'm just...thinking. I'll be alright don't worry about me. So what's the pickle you're having?" I tried changing the subject.

“It’s Delta, isn’t it?” He raised an eyebrow, completely ignoring my attempt at changing the subject. I didn't know whether to tell him or not. I look up at his sweet face in search for answers or a sign of some sort, but instead my words were caught in my throat as I stared at his facial features, totally absorbed on observing every skin cell that was revealed. He cleared is throat awkwardly and I had to jump back in my mind

"Oh um. Yep…you guessed it. Haha.” I said, looking down. We walked in silence for a while. Both he and I were dwelling on her.

“Life’s too short to pay attention to people who treat you like dirt when there is someone right on front of you who would take a bullet for you…” He started to say. My heart pounded in my ears and I didn't know where this was going. I swallowed deeply.

“Are you saying that-"

“Yes, Josh would take a bullet for you.” He said, and turned away, avoiding eye contact. My heart sputtered a little but I should've seen it coming. Josh seemed so far away now and ever since I met Zayn something between Josh and I dissolved. “What I’m saying is just ignore her. She's just being an over protective girlfriend and I don't blame her, you're a lovely person! Of course she'd get jealous and a bit edgy. Don't worry about it, it'll pass."

I smiled faintly at him.

“Yeah, I suppose. She doesn’t like me. Well, she doesn't like me around you to be specific."

“Well you give her perfect reasons. Why wouldn’t she be? You’re beautiful, smart, I’m sure you have a perfect relationship with your boyfriend…” he drifted off.

Wait. What?

“What do you mean by “perfect relationship”? Is everything between you and Delta ok?” I asked concerningly. He didn’t reply. “Come on Zayn, it’s not like I’ll go and tell anyone. You’re my only friend at this school I have no one to tell. And I’m sure as hell not going to march up to Delta and tell her what you’ve been saying!”

“Ok. She’s been very distant. I’d ask her if she wanted to go out for dinner, and she would say she’s busy. It’s just been quite recently. I spoke to her this morning and asked her what she did, how's she going and she got all defensive on me. Like, what did I do wrong?"

I gulped. I know what's wrong. Delta's cheating on Zayn is what's wrong. "How...odd." He was quiet for a while and I knew that there was something else. "That's not it, isn't it?"

"Well...no. I told her I loved her and she just smiled, kissed me for the shortest second then said she had to go. Isn’t that the part where you’re meant to say it back?” He looked into my eyes, searching for answers. Just searching for something.

His gaze made me feel uncomfortable. It was as if he was searching for Delta’s eyes instead of mine. I turned away, and I could already see the apartment coming into view. I know he needed to just let out how he felt and I should be there listening, but after spilling his emotions about Delta I just wanted to puke. 

“Hmm…yeah…” I didn’t know what to say. We walked the few metres, and he quickly changed the subject. I felt like such an idiot. He turned to me and I completely failed on him.

“So, there’s a party tonight at Harry’s place. You might recognise him from the bar, you know…where we … us…um… would you like to come?” He asked a bit awkwardly. 

My heart leaped of excitement and a big smile spread across my face. We reached the doorstep.

“I was going to take Delta but she said she was busy with homework or something…she never does homework. I don’t know what’s gotten into her.” He continued. My smile vanished just as quickly as it appeared.

I didn’t really want to go. Now that I said he could open up to me it’s all about Delta this, Delta that. I turned and looked at him. He was waiting for a reply, with hopeful eyes.  I pondered my decision and watched him chew his lip.

"Yeah okay. Sounds like fun!" I forced a smile. I wouldn't know anyone at the party and I wasn't sure who I was going to hang out with, but hopefully Zayn and I would have a little too much to drink and we would.....no. 

I walked into the apartment building ahead of him and as he waved through the revolving doors he called "See ya there! I'll pick you up at 7!"

I smiled and waved at him. I loved parties with dancing and loud music, and since Delta wasn't going I was looking forward to it. The only thing that bugged at my self esteem is that I would know no one except for Zayn. All that was left for me to do was find an out and figure out a way to break to Zayn that Delta's cheating on him.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone! Did you enjoy this chapter? If so VOTE and let me know what you think by COMMENTING below!