Chapter 3 - Shock

Tuesday dragged on forever and I felt like it was never going to end. It was a shame that Zayn wasn’t in every one of my periods; I would’ve really liked his company. I would've liked anyone's company if they weren't so ignorant, but even if Lorrie or Josh were in this room and Zayn wasn't, I'd stilll feel like something was missing; like something was incomplete. I was familiar with this feeling, and I knew what was going to happen. I had this urge to impress Zayn whenever I was in his presence, I had to look gorgeous and flawless whenever he looked at me and the butterflies in my stomach would flutter in a frenzy whenever he complimented me. Which has only happened once. 

It was just a crush though. Something that kept me emotionally attached to this school since he was the only person making an effort to talk to me. I'd grow out of it, and eventually I'd realise that he's got a girlfriend, I've got a boyfriend and that we were nothing but friends. It's just a temporary crush. I hope.

When the first week of this new school nearly finished I'd already figured out a routine. Zayn walked me home each day since he lived not far from me, and whilst we had our little chat at my door step it felt nice to be friends with him. Only at that moment in the day when it was just us two, it really felt like it was just us; no Delta, no Josh. No disapproving eyes peering at me.

Every now and again I would forget that I’m dating Josh, to be honest, every time I look at Zayn I’d forget about Josh. I felt guilty for admitting it to myself, and I'm not going to lie I do love Josh; but whenever I'm with him it just feels like he was put in my life to make me happy temporarily. I felt like he would be ripped out of my arms as soon as the clock dinged and that he was just someone who helped me pass time.

Zayn on the other hand, he is so mysterious, quiet in a way and charming. He made me feel like a child that just received a new toy; curious to experiment with it, see what it could do and what it was capable of.  

Stories, movies and books of a person falling in love with 2 people made me scoff. It always seemed impossible, and quite pathetic in a way. If you really liked someone; you wouldn't like somebody else. But I wasn't in that situation. I'd pick Josh over Zayn anyday. Besides, how long have I known Zayn? How much do I know about him? How much do we have in common? The worst thing of all though, the thing that drew him to me the most and made me want him as my own property was the fact that I couldn't have him. It's as if we were side by side, but separated by a paper thin wall that couldn't be broken.

Friday after school, I waited by the gates imapatiently for Zayn. I wanted to get home as fast as possible and get away from this ratchet hell hole. From the distance I could see Delta coming closer and closer towards me, with a hard expression on her face. 

“You shouldn’t be here,” she had said icily as she approached me.

“Excuse me?” I gasped in shock. 

“The way you wear your uniform, the way you braid your hair, how you pay attention in class. It’s disgusting. Why did you come to this a crap hole anyway?” she snapped at me.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t know that was such a crime. I didn’t want to come here. My dad got a job so don’t dump all of this on me.” 

“I’ve seen the way you look at Zayn, and how he looks at you as if you were actually worth something to him. Zayn has no future, he is in a stupid little band which plays at gunky clubs, and you are little miss perfect. You and Zayn don’t belong, so stay away from him. He's out of your reach anyway.” The tone with her pitchy voice didn't mix well, and I was starting to get really ticked off. How could she say that about Zayn? Not even someone who was in one of Zayn's classes would say that, let alone his girlfriend!