Chapter 14 - Broken

Zayn avoided me for the rest of the day. I don’t know what his definition of “friends” is but who knows, Lorrie has done the same. We used to talk at least once a week…the last time I spoke to her was at Harry’s party! She’s my best friend; she should’ve been the first person to know; now I don’t even think she remembers me.

I decided not to dwell on the thought too much because it would just get me more upset than I already am. The rest of the day was uneventful, and when I was waiting at the gate afterschool for Zayn, he never came. He didn’t get a lift with Delta because I saw her death stare me down as she flicked her brown, split ended hair of her should and go into her rich-peoples car. As I was walking I decided to call Tin, it was a few days since we last spoke but I figured I needed some company. After the fourth ring he eventually picked up.

“Hey Hope! What’s up?” He said all bubbly.

“Not much, I’m a loner right now walking home from school and needed someone to talk. How’s life in the Asian community?” I joked about.

“Not good actually, I failed History. I got a whole lecture from my parents and urgh they’re driving me insane!”

“Ehh that sucks,”

“Speaking of insane; my mate was down in the library the other day and he said a pregnant girl approached him and said she would give birth if he didn’t obey her orders,” Tin mentioned.

I gulped, and forced out a weak “haha” which sounded totally unconvincing. “That…that is a bit weird…”

“I also heard that she had crabs and she was a prostitute,” he added.

“I’M NOT A PROSTITUTE!” I exclaimed.

“I didn’t call you a prostitute? I called the creepy chic a prostitute,” Tin remarked.

“Oh, umm…I thought you called me a prostitute…not that umm…crabs infected…pregnant girl. But, I’m not a prostitute.” This was getting awkward. I worry about the way information circulates around this school.

Anyway!” I said trying to change the topic. “Wanna catch up before the school holidays? I’m going back home  so I won’t see you guys for 2 weeks!”

“Yeah, sounds cool. I’m going bowling with some of my mates in a few hours, you can come a long! It would be good for them to meet a real girl.”

I was a little confused to what he was saying. “Meet a real girl”? what? I just dismissed it. Tin was an odd boy.

“Um, okay then. Cool thanks, see ya then.” I hung up on him before he said another word about the pregnant girl who was a prostitute and had crabs…who was actually me. Well. That went well.

~

On Friday I finally managed to get hold of Zayn. I know I haven’t been in contact with him for less than a day, but it felt out of routine. When I got to school Zayn was already there waiting for me.

“Hey!” I greeted.

“How was bowling?” He asked.

“Huh? How did you know?” I wondered aloud.

“Hello, you posted it as your Facebook status a long with a cute picture of you in your bowling shoes and your little lame bowling outfit thing,” Zayn laughed giving me a playful punch in the shoulder.

“Oh! Haha Tin hacked me,” I giggled.

The happy moment lasted for a few seconds until I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. I had forgotten to take my medication and now Zayn was in the Girls’ Bathroom holding my hair back as I threw up.

 After rinsing my mouth and catching my breath, everything was awkward. I guess the same thought settled into his mind as it has on me: I’m pregnant, it’s not your child, we can’t be together.

The rest of the day was the same: Filled with awkward silences and conversations about the weather and school. What a way to spend the last day I see Zayn before the school holidays I thought.

~

The school bell rang and I pushed past the crowded bunch of bodies in the locker bay. I gathered as many books as I could carry. While walking to the school gate, my bag was so heavy it felt like it could’ve broken my back. I saw Zayn already waiting for me and I smiled at him.

“Hey! Where are all your books, aren’t you gonna study over the holidays?” I asked him fixing the position of my bag on my back while looking at his empty backpack.

“I already took the home throughout the week so I avoided this,” He gestured at the lump of books in my bag.

“Of course, you’re always one step ahead Zaynster,” I stated with a smile.

“Here let me carry your bag, I’m not the pregnant one.” He remarked. I think he was meant to put a playful touch to his words, but it sure didn’t sound like it and I really wanted to snatch my bag out of his hands and walk ahead without him. Why did he have to be so difficult?

The walk back home was the worst. We didn’t speak at all, there was nothing to talk about. I suppose it was for the best though because everything that recently came out of Zayn’s mouth was sour. When we started to approach the building where my apartment was, he finally started to talk.

“So…what are you planning on doing over the holidays?” he asked a little awkwardly.

“Not much. I’m staying at Josh’s place for the whole two weeks and we’re going to tell our parents together about the baby,” as I said the words I noticed his delicate and perfect face flinch as if I hurt him physically. I pretended not to notice and push away the thought that everything I did was wrong and hurting him. “What about you?”

“Study.” His reply was quick and short, clearly he was involuntarily talking to me.

“Oh…”

“I’m also going to be practicing with the rest of the boys. White Eskimo. We haven’t had a gig in ages, and we’re a bit rusty on the edges,” he said. We were now inside the lobby of the building. I was in no hurry, and my apartment was only a few storeys up.

“Do you see the boys a lot?” I questioned him, trying not to run out of conversation.

“Yeah, quite a lot, they’re like my brothers. Recently I’ve been hanging out with Niall though because two weeks he broke up with his girl, and well I’m sort of in a similar situation as him,” He retorted. I sighed, until I realized Niall’s ex-girlfriend was Lorrie.

“Wait…Niall broke up with Lorrie?” I repeated.

“Oh I forgot Lorrie was your friend. Umm yeah, didn’t you know?” He gave me a puzzled look.

“No! I haven’t spoken to Lorrie in weeks. She’s lost her internet connection or something and when I call her it just keeps ringing. Well, visiting Lorrie is another thing I should do in the holidays…” I said thinking out loud. “Well, I should go now. I’ll see you after the holidays. Take care Zayn,” I smiled up at him trying to hide the pain inside.

 I went to hug him but instead of him wrapping his arms around me, he grabbed my waist and kissed me hard. I didn’t even try to resist. The kiss was hard, and full of pain yet still so beautiful. After the incredibly heart breaking moment was over, Zayn smiled sadly at me and walked out the door. I waved at him in a fragile state of mind. I sat down for a few minutes in a trance. How could I have done this to him? I’m such an idiot.