Chapter 26 - Images

It has been nearly one week since I first landed in the hospital. Each and every day Zayn dropped by in hopes I’d remember him, but his faith was always crushed when I shook my head. It wasn’t all that bad though. He stopped pestering to remember him after the first 2 days I was in hospital, and now it seemed like me trying to remember him wasn’t the most important thing on his mind or the biggest concern. He mostly focused on visiting me as much as possible and all of Saturday he was here with me. He hadn’t tried to kiss me again and we managed to avoid the awkward talks but what he and I used to be.

 Every now and again I’d find my hand gently placed in his while we spent time together. On Friday night we watched The Hunger Games. The television was an old one, so the screen was small and the set was big and cubed. It was set up directly opposite my bed so Zayn sat in the guest chair (instead of sitting on my bed like he usually does). By the end of the movie, the lights turned on and we would discover that our hands met each other again, not that either of us minded.

On Saturday evening after Zayn had left, Lorrie came over with Niall and we decided to have a TV dinner together. As I saw Niall walk in through the doors, he looked different. His hair wasn’t pure blonde anymore, the colour was starting to wash out and the brown in his hair came through. When I saw him smile I noticed his teeth were straighter with his barely-noticeable braces and he looked older in general.

I was so overwhelmed. Not because I saw Niall looking so different, but because an image of me sitting on Lorrie’s bed in her home while she cried all of a sudden filled my head. I wasn’t paying attention to what Niall and Lorrie were saying right now, I just stared past them not focusing on anything in particular. The image took up my entire head space. I remembered that Lorrie broke up with Niall, I remembered Lorrie crying as she told me why, I remembered Lorrie telling me she’s a lesbian and lastly I remember being at the Corner Café with her and Niall.

“Hope? Earth back to Hope,” Niall said tapping me on the shoulder.

“What?” I said.

“You looked like you were –“

“Remembering something?” I cut in.

“I was going to say you daydreaming, but anyway. What did you remember?” Niall asked.

I looked at Lorrie, then at Niall. They both looked at each other trying to fit the puzzle pieces.

“You two aren’t dating, are you?” I asked in confirmation. Niall shook his head awkwardly as he figured out where this was going.

“Do you remember being at my house, and we were talking about something?” Lorrie asked as she took a seat on my bed where Zayn normally sat.

“Yes.” I whispered.

“Um…I’m going to get us some drinks…” Niall said as he rushed out the door uncomfortably.

“So you remember me saying to you-“

“I remember everything that happened on that day Lorrie. I remember also remember we caught up with Niall at the Corner Café.” I reassured. Lorrie knew this conversation was going to happen sooner or later, and judging by what she said next I knew she wanted to get past it and avoid the awkward repetition.

“Do you remember Zayn being with us at the café?”

“Zayn was at the café?” I wondered aloud.

“Yes, and Niall caught you two kissing at the swing sets after you both went off,” Lorrie threw in as if it wasn’t a big deal.

“What?!” I gasped. “That’s not true. I couldn’t have, I was dating Josh!”