Chapter 19 - More Than Friends (Best Friends)

I spent all day Saturday regaining my energy, resting and trying to get my sleeping pattern together. I pretty much had spent the whole day in my hoodie, ugg boots, tracksuit pants and eating. Sunday morning I decided to drop by Lorrie’s and see what was going on. Josh offered to drive me but the walk was only about 20 minutes and I figured I could use with some alone time after the craziness from Friday night.

Lorrie was my best friend, I didn’t bother getting changed out of my comfy clothes. She’d understand, I bet she’s wearing the same as me anyways. On the walk I thought of how the baby ruined my life, how I’m ruining Zayn’s life and how I’ve already ruined Josh’s life. I think I caused more pain, grief and annoyance to the people around me then actual company. I imagined what Zayn would say. I think I could almost hear Zayn telling me that I haven’t. He’d probably say that I made his life better ever since he met me, and that he’s glad I broke him and Delta up or something.

I changed my trail of thought. It hurt to think about Zayn. Instead, I was wondering what state Lorrie would be at. I finally arrived at her home. It was big, huge and white just as I remembered it. Lorrie had 2 brothers and 2 sisters and her parents were at work trying to earn money to pay the bills and food for the table. I pressed a button and I could hear the bell going off inside. One of Lorrie’s little sisters opened up.

“Hope!!” A little girl said as soon as she saw me. She was dark skinned, had big brown eyes and black curly hair tied up in a bun. She was about 8 years old.

“Ria! Hello little one, haven’t seen you in ages!” I picked her up and hugged her. “Is Lorrie home?”

“Yeah! She’s in her room. Do you want to play tea party with me? I have Barbie,” Ria looked at me with big round eyes, and a mangled Barbie doll with messy hair and a moustache drawn on its face looked at me as well.

“Um…maybe later. I have to talk to Lorrie first.” I said.

“Ria! I told you not to open the door when the door bell rings! That’s one of your brother’s job!” I heard Lorrie call from upstairs. She leaned over the rail to yell some more at Ria, but then stopped when she saw me. “Hope! What are you doing here?”

“I’m your best friend, am I not allowed to come over?” I replied. By now the smile was wiped of my face and I was just filled with sadness. I missed Lorrie so much.

“Uh, yeah. Come in.”

I put Ria down and I walked up the stairs and into her room. Her room was big. One side of the walls consisted of just entirely windows, and a door which led to a little balcony. The walls were a creamy colour which was soft on the eye. She had no posters or anything up, she only had a few paintings and a shelf which had many knick-knacks placed upon it. I sat on her bed and looked at her.

“What happened?” I eventually asked as I stared and just observed her facial expressions.

“Hope, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you. I’m sorry I’ve been declining all your calls and ignored your texts. It’s just something I wanted to tell you in person, and I was too scared to meet up with you. I’m sorry if I hurt you, it was just a scary time and I was alone and…” She broke off into sobs. I got off the bed and hugged her real tight.

“It’s okay; I’m here now you can tell me.” I soothed her. She wiped her eyes and we sat down on her double bed, with the TV on in the background.

“Remember when I was dating Niall? I didn’t actually like him. Well I did like him, but I wasn’t in love. I had no feelings for him, he loved me but I just couldn’t find the same emotions for him.”

“Then why did you agree to date him? Wait, weren’t you the one to tell him you loved him in the first place?” I was really confused. Lorrie nodded and continued her story.