CHAPTER TWENTY

Juliet looked at Embry as the words slowly left his lips, for her it as loud in her ears, despite it being a soft-spoken exchange

Juliet looked at Embry as the words slowly left his lips, for her it as loud in her ears, despite it being a soft-spoken exchange. Everything around her seems to dull out, and the only thing her mind focused on was what he had confessed to her.

Embry finally finished and carefully looked at her, as she just stared at him for a while. It took a moment, and she finally shook her head like she was snapping her head out of her daze, "You're telling me" Juliet mumbled and then looked at him," That those Legends are real?"

"Yes" was all he said and Juliet leaned on her hands with her elbows as support. She was processing the information, and it was exactly like the Legends her parents had shared with her and the others. She couldn't deny any of it, especially since the wolf howls were her proof enough.

She could not describe how she could differ the sounds of their howls for the common wolf howls from the forest back at her old home. The ones here were amplified in a sense of connection to the lands itself, which is exactly what it was, they were the night children that protected its ancestral lands. A blessing in disguise but also can be a curse depending on how they want to see it. It all depends on the shapeshifter themselves.

"Does it hurt?" She asked and Embry looked at her tilting his head slightly confused at first but then got what her question was. He was ready for the many questions he was expecting to come, but he noticed the look in her eyes, that she was not suspicious. She was sure of what he told her, and she was genuinely asking for his wellbeing.

He let out a breath and he unconsciously spoke his mind," You are still the same, Juliet Michael" Juliet felt the burn on her cheeks at his words and averted her eyes embarrassed but a smile broke on her face.

"Despite the short hair, and the-" She eyes his revealed arms in his short sleeve shirt, the new form of muscles that he didn't have years ago. She stared a little too long making Embry follow her eyes to his arms and then smirked.

"The muscles?"

She had the urge to hide under a rock after seeing the smirk on his face," You didn't answer my question" She quickly changed the subject in the hope he took the bait.

"It did in the beginning, but now it's not" He admitted but then shook his head," You, actually believe me?" He hated asking that question, but it was a normal question that should be asked in this situation.

"Word for word" She nodded and reached over to his hand unconsciously and retracted it back at the heat his body was suddenly giving off," Woah" She mumbled and then reached again and touching his hand with just a finger and repeated the action.

Embry just watched her amused," Yeah it comes along with shifting, you didn't feel it earlier? When you touched my head and back, I thought you noticed"

"Oh" She said in realization," I guess I was too focused on your possible injuries"

Embry then reached over grabbing her hand," Are we-okay now?" He asked slowly as she gazed at him.