Matchmaking Disaster (28)

The last week of vacation was uneventful. Nothing really interested happened. I spent all those days talking to Monica on phone, asking me when I will be home because she’s really bored and wanted to go shopping with me. Harry visited me three times. I was grateful actually. We only talked about stuffs like school and family, but I could still see sadness in his eyes. He’s always the one to start a subject about Zac but I let the subject drop and change it immediately.

I didn’t want to see him sad because he’s such a good guy. I know! I’d said it again.

And finally, the last day of vacation. Tomorrow’s our first day for this school year. I was going to surprise Zac at his place. I had asked Harry to come with me since I didn’t know where he’s staying, and he gladly accepted. I also wanted the two of them to be friends again, with no hatred or anger or anything.

“So, are you ready?” Harry asked as he started to drive.

I smiled at him, “Yeah. I’m really excited to see him. After this, I’m going to surprise Monica as well. That girl’s going to kill me once she knew that I’m already here a week ago before.” I chuckled at the thought of Monica. My best friend sometimes was so brutal, that she almost looked like a lunatic person.

The rest of the drive was silent. Zac’s place was just twenty minutes away from mine.

I sighed then turned to Harry, asking, “How do I look?”

He looked at me, no words coming out of his mouth. He blinked more than once, probably mesmerized by my beauty.

“Harry?” I snapped my finger at him.

“Huh?!” he inquired. He was definitely out of this world.

“I said, how do I look?”

“You look… fantastic. He’ll be surprised when he sees you for sure,” he answered and hastily went out of his car. He opened my door for me, then we made our way to Zac’s apartment.

His unit was just on the second floor. When we got to his door, I felt nervous all of a sudden, but still with excitement. I shook myself first to calm down all my nerves. Harry snickered, which cause me to glare at him.

I took a deep breath then I pressed the doorbell. The first rang was a failure. No one answered. Maybe he’s out. Then I pressed it again. Maybe he didn’t hear. Still no answer.

“Why don’t you knock?” Harry suggested.

“Knock?! He didn’t answer when I rang the doorbell, then I’m suppose to knock? The doorbell is—“

“Just try to knock, okay,” he rolled his eyes. I grimaced at the thought but still did as I was told.

I knocked and on the second knock, the door opened, slightly ajar. I waited for him to open it widely but someone else opened it.

My eyes widened, suddenly feeling all weak. Tears were starting to blur my eyes. I felt my stomach did a twist and turn. My knees going jelly. What’s this person doing here at Zac’s place?

Then his voice rang, coming closer and closer. I wanted to run already but my feet was glued to the place where I was standing.

When he came into view, “Who is—“ His eyes widened, mouth wide opened almost hitting the floor. “Sapphire?” he blurted. He was more like inquiring me. And this stupid girl was just smirking at me. “Sapphire, what are you doing here?”