Matchmaking Disaster (18)

Here’s the next chapter. I decided to upload to chapters in one day because I know that I’ll be off again for another week. We have a school project will be due this end of August and then we have an oral defense first week of September. So, I won’t be having available time to upload.

Please comment and tell me what you think of at every chapter. I rarely get to have comments and that bothers me. So please do. Thanks.

Here’s chapter 18. Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matchmaking Disaster (18)

I glared at the blonde guy who was wide-eyed as he tried to wipe the drink he accidentally poured to me. At the same time, my dad came into sight, panting.

“What happened?” he asked as he placed his left hand to his chest, catching every breath he could take.

I didn’t bother to answer. The ladies behind were quiet. I let out a sigh of defeat and walked inside the house. I cursed him under my breath. Cutting me off, I heard Emerald calling me. I could see her and she was tugging into someone’s arm.

She pulled the person, Harry came into view. My eyes snapped wide open and my jaw almost hit the floor. I tried to form some words but found none.

“Look who I found. It’s Harry.” Emerald giggled as she reached out for my hand and entwined it to Harry’s. I immediately snatched it back and placed it on my side. She furrowed her brows, bewildered, “Why?!” she finally asked.

Harry gave her a weak smile and slightly pinched Emerald’s cheek before saying, “I’ll talk to your sister first. You go find some friends.” She did as she was told. She scampered off immediately that she almost rammed into someone. But she had fast reflexes and avoided it.

I glared at Harry who was at his earnest look. “So,” was all I could say. I really didn’t know what to say to him.

There was an awkward silence between the two of us. Even though the house was packed of guests, all I could hear was Harry’s deep breathing and the loud thud in my chest.

I finally decided to break the awkward silence by asking, “When did you arrive?”

He cleared his throat, scratching the back of his head. “Just this morning. Your mom called mom, and told us that they will be hosting a welcome party for you. Then I heard Emerald’s voice on the other line saying—“ he stopped. Something made him stopped. He removed his gaze at me and down to the floor.

I moved towards him and held his chin up, meeting his brown eyes. There were tears brimming and any minute it’ll fall like crazy. I tugged my arm around his and pulled him out of the house.

We were at the fountain, just outside the front door, where different color of lights twinkled below the water. The night’s very calm. “Harry?” I said, not leaving my gaze at the colorful lights.

“Hmm?”

“How are you? How have you been feeling?”

Another awkward silence filled the area.

I looked up in the sky and saw the stars twinkling above us, and then turned to Harry. “Let’s not make our summer like a living hell. We’ll be seeing each other a lot, you know. At least, let’s be friends.” It’s as if saying the word ‘friend’ ache in my throat.

He cupped both of my cheeks, meeting his gaze. “I’ve been good. And of course, I know that. My family was planning to have a family trip at the Bahamas and your family is on top of the list. So yeah,” he stepped backward, chuckling. He sat at the edge of the fountain. Somewhat bothered of the things he just spat.

The Bahamas. Wow.

“Sapphire,” I heard a very familiar sweet voice called from behind me. I hastily spun around to see a long curly hair and blue-eyed girl. She’s wearing a very elegant dress that perfectly showed her curves.

“Juliette!” I finally said, smiling as I made my way towards her. I pulled her into a hug, “Oh. So glad to see you again.” Pulling away from the hug, I saw a short-haired brunette woman smiling as she made her way towards us. “Aunt Janice, glad you made it.”

“Of course dear. We weren’t able to see you for good two years, so this was our chance to see you again. Unfortunately, Julienne’s in L.A. so she couldn’t make it.” She said, giving me a quick hug.

“Mom and dad is inside the house. Shall we?” I gestured them towards the front door. I quickly glanced at Harry, mouthing him, “See you later.” He just simply nodded and smiled.

People were starting to leave the house, waving their goodbyes at my parents. Finally the last one who left were mom’s friends; Mrs. Wales together with Harry, Mrs. Donell and Mrs. Davis. Where’s Zac? Maybe he left after pouring his drinks on me… Accidentally. But anyway, at least I hadn’t seen him after that scene he made.

Harry and I decided to take it slow and not to force ourselves to be friends. Also, I’ve got some explaining to do to mom and Emerald.

Emerald was so close to Harry. She even said to him when we first dated, “You should marry my sister and you’ll be my big brother.” An unexpected smile crawled to my face just remembering the thought.

* * * * *

I plopped down on my bed. Oh golly! I feel exhausted. I heard a soft knock from my door, then opened a little. Mom took a peek through the little space before asking, “Can I come in?”

I rolled my eyes at her, smiling, “Of course mom.” I sat on my bed, crossed legs. “So, what brings you here?” I asked her.

She sat at the edge of my bed. Something’s up. I could smell it in the thin air.

“Mom?”

“Oh Sweetie. You remember Zac, right?” She asked. Well yeah. He totally ruined my dress and… and what? Maybe my love life? Ugh.

I just nodded.

Mom placed her hand on mine and squeezing it a little, with a small smile on her face. She continued, “Well, he’s staying for a while here with us.”

Did I hear her right? Tell me this was just a dream. Somebody! Please wake me up from this nightmare.

“You did not just say that mom! How could you make decision without informing me?! Mom, it’s summer!” I almost shouted at mom but still I was able to control it.

She just sighed. Great! Just so great! My whole summer was finally ruined. I couldn’t believe it. Why he had to stay here? Didn’t he had his own house or place to stay?! Why here?!

“Why?” I snapped, narrowing my eyes at her and waiting impatiently for her answer. She had to give me a very good reason why that guy had to stay here in the house for the summer.

She stood up saying, “He don’t have a place to stay for the summer. His parents will be at Europe for business trip. So yeah.”

I rolled my eyes at her. Then without another word, I buried myself under my Winnie the pooh covers, not wanting to deal with mom again.

I heard mom walked through the door. But before she slammed it, she muttered, “Juleitte and your Aunt Janice will be home tomorrow afternoon.” And with that, I heard the door shut close.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, what do you think? I hope you comment on this chapter and to the other chapters. I want to hear your thoughts about the story, the characters and especially the way I write. So please do,.. and please vote too, cause you know, I entered this story to Watty Awards. Thanks.