Chapter Twenty-Two: Love Talk

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*****************************

Ary went through three clips before she sat her Beretta down. The paper person was riddled with holes. It actually had more empty space than it did paper. She had been envisioning her mother the entire time. That's why the face was completely shot to smithereens. She dreamed about shooting Juliana in the face. Unhealthy as it was it helped to curb some of her anger issues.

She'd been incredibly irritable since the confrontation with her mom and she'd been taking it all out on Rave. He was completely supportive and understanding, and that just made her feel even worse. She needed to get herself under control and shooting at inanimate objects really seemed to help. She'd also decided to dive head first into the case against Christian. She and Rave were working together on that, sort of. Rave did his thing with his buddies and Ary did her thing with the Chicago PD, and when they got home at night they shared their findings with each other.

Over the past month there had been several 'accidental' deaths involving ex-Bloodbaths and their family members. Christian was somehow getting his most loyal followers to take out the others that had ran off when Christian got arrested. This had become such a top priority for the Chicago PD that Detective Wilcox had temporarily given her a badge so that she could have more free reign while investigating.

As for her family, well, Ary was pretty much ignoring them. The day after the big blowout in Haven, Mads and her Uncle Jack had tried to call her several times. Within three days she had somewhere near a hundred missed calls and texts from everyone in her family, including her dad and Garrett. She wasn't ready to talk to them yet so she decided to get a new cell phone and new number. It was the only way she could get her space. That was a week ago. She still wasn't in the mood to speak to them.

To avoid having to see them, Ary had brought Maria back into Chicago. She was currently staying at Layla's family's motel, with some of Rave's guys keeping an eye on the place. She had proven to help out a lot, although she didn't know much about Luke and his involvement with Christian. Eventually Ary would have to talk to Luke personally.

From what Maria had told her, Christian swung both ways. He had had sex with her on multiple occasions and she'd witnessed him with men. The catch was that he only seemed to get it up when he was causing them pain. The pain turned him on. That's why he targeted weak, younger men and women. He had to overpower them. Christian was more sick and twisted than Ary had ever imagined.

As she was disarming her weapon, her cell vibrated in her pocket. She set her Beretta on the ledge in front of her, slid off her protective gear, and pulled her phone out. "Harper," she answered.

"Ary, hey." It was Mason and his voice sounded strained.

"Mase, is everything alright?" she asked, worried. She quickly finished with her Beretta just in case she had to fly out of the shooting range in a hurry.

"Well, not exactly," he hedged. He sounded very uncomfortable.

"What does that mean? Did something happen to my sisters?" Ary demanded.

Even though Ary was pissed at her family, she still worried about them. Asking her not to worry was like asking the sun not to rise. It just wasn't going to happen. She'd told Rave all this and he promised to keep someone in Haven just to be safe. As Mason had seemed to loss his job of babysitting her, he picked up the honor of babysitting her sisters.

"They are fine," he assured her.

"Then what the hell is wrong?" she exclaimed, even as she cleared out her station and loaded her gun back into the holster on her right hip. Her Detective's badge was clipped next to it.