Chapter Twelve: Escaping Again

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*********************************

"Ary."

At the feel of something brushing her cheek, Ary's eyes fluttered open. She had been in a deep sleep and was startled. She had a momentary sense of panic, but quickly relaxed when she saw that Rave was laying beside her, his hand gently stroking her cheek. She smiled and he returned it.

"I feel like I'm dreaming," he said, his eyes searching her face, his smile disappearing.

"I'm fine, Rave. Really," she assured him, sitting up in the bed. She yawned and stretched out her arms.

Rave's gaze immediately went to her knuckles that were bruised and scabbed over, then to the red rope burns around her wrist from where she struggled against her restraints. His eyes darkened with anger.

"Rave, it's not as bad as it looks," she quickly told him, fearing he might let his anger get the better of him.

"What happened?" he demanded.

"It's a long story," Ary shrugged. She felt awkward explaining things to him. She was embarrassed about her mother's involvement in the whole mess.

"I have time," he told her, giving her a hard look.

Ary thought about arguing with him more. She really didn't want to talk about what happened to her, but she knew she had to tell Rave. Even though nothing bad had actually happened to her, Rave didn't know that and he was probably still worked up about her being kidnapped.

"Well..." Ary began.

"That sounds unbelievable," Rave said, after Ary had finished telling him everything that had happened to her while she was gone. Well, everything except for her involvement with the cops. He didn't need to know about that just yet.

"I know," Ary agreed on a sigh. "But honestly, it is something my mom would do. I know of at least two different men she's cheated on my dad with and she's done way worse things than having me kidnapped," Ary admitted.

"Why hasn't your mother been committed yet?" Rave asked, in shock. He had come across a lot of crazy people in his life, but he was starting to think that Ary's mother was the craziest.

"She's a very high functioning psychopath and she has everyone wrapped around her finger. And as far as middle age women with three kids go, my mom is pretty hot. Even guys my age fall at her feet," Ary stated.

There was one particular incident in high school where Ary had had some friends over and her mom had come out of the shower, only wrapped in a skimpy towel. She had feigned embarrassment, but for some reason she didn't immediately run into the bedroom and instead stayed out in the hallway for two or three minutes before Ary dragged her friends downstairs. Juliana craved attention and her husband mostly ignored her so she had to get her fix some other way. Like by enticing sex craved teenage boys.

"No wonder you and your sisters are all screwed up when it comes to men," Rave said, shaking his head.

"While I agree with you there, might I also mention that you just royally insulted yourself too," Ary pointed out.

"I'm a former gang leader that used to torture and murder people on a daily basis. You choosing to be with me says more about you than it does about me," Rave countered.

Ary glared at him. He wasn't wrong. He had killed people. People that didn't deserve to die. He had probably done a lot worse things than what he'd ever told her about, not that he ever told her a lot. He was pretty secretive about all that and she never really cared too much before, but now she was starting to. He was different now, but just how different is he?