Chapter Sixteen: Relationships

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*********************************

"Quit being weird. People will think you're a narc," Ary hissed at Rave.

They were currently sitting in the diner that Maria Toldesta, aka Destiny, was working at. Ary was trying to figure out what she wanted to eat. Rave was making things more difficult by sitting stiffly in the booth and staring at everyone with the same hardened look that most cops gave criminals. She was only thankful that he hadn't been recognized yet.

"How am I supposed to act? Why can't we just grab her and go? It'd be a lot faster and easier than having to eat lunch here everyday," Rave shot back at her. He had been complaining about this for the past four days.

Working together proved to be more difficult than either of them realized. They both had to be in charge of a situation, which always led them to butt heads. This was Ary's case and Rave kept trying to take charge, even though he had no idea of how to handle the situation. Ary wished they could go back to the way things were, with both of them doing their own thing, but Rave was adamant about them working together.

"Rave, we've been through this. She's not some criminal that we can just beat the information out of," Ary said, speaking to him as if he were a child.

"I can't believe we're doing this," Rave grumbled, leaning back in the booth. "Why can't we just go to your cousin about Christian's extracurricular activities. I know I can beat the information out of him."

"As much as we both would love to hit Luke right now, that's not going to help anything either," Ary sighed. She really wanted to punch her cousin. "He's being shielded by my Aunt Charlotte, and if you think my mom is crazy just wait until you see what my aunt does when someone hurts her precious little boy."

"A mamma's boy? Figures," Rave scoffed.

"Can we just forget about Luke for a second and focus on the task at hand?" Ary growled at him.

"Did you even get a chance to talk to him?" Rave asked, ignoring has efforts to change the subject.

"No. Most of the attention was focused on me. I was lucky to get five minutes alone in the bathroom, and even then I usually had Mads or Scar right outside the door asking questions," she sighed, shaking her head. Lying was so much easier.

"You should really find a way to talk to him. He could still be in contact with Christian," Rave shrugged, his eyes still on Maria as he none-to-subtly stalked her.

"He's not in contact with Christian!" Ary argued.

Rave looked over at her and he was frowning. "You can't know that for sure. You didn't even know that he's gay," he pointed out.

"You didn't know about it either, and I paid you to stalk him," Ary shot back at him. She wasn't about to take the blame for this one.

"You paid me to keep him alive. I did my job," Rave shrugged.

"He got shot and almost died," she corrected him.

"He's still alive," Rave grumbled.

"Yeah, thanks to me," she scoffed. "Tell me again exactly what you're good for?" she gave him a hard look.

"I can take you back home and show you exactly what I'm good for," he said, his voice low as he leaned over the table. His steel colored eyes were heated as he gazed at her.

Ary kept her face blank, even as her body warmed all over. She didn't need to be reminded just how good Rave was in bed. He knew how to please a woman. Why wouldn't he? He'd probably been with a hundred women, whereas she had only ever been with one man.