Chapter Nineteen: Fathers

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*********************************

As soon as Rave left to go do whatever it was that he did, Ary left too. Rave had cut back on his controlling ways just a bit and Mason didn't even try to stop her from leaving. He just told her to be careful and to not to forget to call Rave if she needed anything. It was passive-aggressive controlling behavior, and that she could deal with.

It probably wasn't a smart idea to go and stalk her brother-in-law, but she really didn't care. She trusted Rave to take care of things, but if Daniel stepped out of line in any way, she wanted to be the one to make him regret the day he was born.

Ary parked across the street from Daniel's and Scar's old place. The grass was in need of a serious trim and the trash had piled up around the bins at the side of the garage. Leave it to a grown man not to do simple chores. As Ary surveyed the surrounding area, her gaze connected with Jaden's. He was staring right at her.

"Fuck," Ary cursed as she slid down in her seat. She didn't know why she did that. It was obvious that Jaden had seen her. They had made eye contact before she not so subtly tried to hide in the front seat of the Jeep. It probably would have been a smart idea for her to have used a different vehicle.

Someone knocked on her window. Shit. She couldn't just ignore him now. Well, she could, but she highly doubted that he would just politely go away if she didn't acknowledge him. Putting on her best innocent smile, Ary rolled down the window.

"Jaden! What a surprise to see you here!" she said, her voice just a little too high to be taken seriously.

"Hey, Ary, out for a stroll?" Jaden asked, grinning at her. His shaggy blonde hair fell over his forehead and he pushed it back so he could look at her better.

Jaden really didn't give off the gang banger vibe. He looked more like a surfer type, with his too-long blonde hair and a nice tan that was practically unheard of in Chicago. He also had a joking personality, something that always got him into trouble with Rave. He didn't seem to have a care in the world.

"Yup. Rave left to go do something top secret and you know how I just hate being stuck in that loft," she explained. She was being too chatty. No one would buy that.

"Must just be a coincidence that you happened to park in front of your brother-in-law's house then?" he questioned, humor clearly evident in his bright green eyes.

"I was just making sure that you were doing your job," Ary shrugged.

Truth be told, she hadn't given a single thought to Jaden. She knew that Rave had asked him to keep tabs on Daniel, but she had been a little distracted on the ride over. She wanted to threaten Daniel and make it known exactly what would happen to him if he went anywhere near her sister or the kids ever again. The whole restraining order thing had completely left her thoughts. Even in her moment of clarity, she was thinking jail time would be worth getting to pound that bastard's face in one more time.

"Part of my job is making sure you don't do anything stupid," he said, his green eyes darkening as his expression turned from carefree to serious.

"Define stupid," she said, trying to buy herself some time until she came up with a believable excuse.

"Like being parked out in front of a guy's house when he has a restraining order that says you can't be within 100ft of him," he told her, his expression still serious.

Ary glanced across the street before looking back at Jaden. "This is more than 100ft away," she told him.

"You're more of a control freak than Colt is, you know that?" Jaden sighed, running his hands through his hair. He looked annoyed.