Chapter Twenty-Six: We're Okay

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*******************************

Ary almost turned around and went right back to the motel when she walked into the waiting room at the ICU. Her aunt was there, sitting right next to Luke. Getting him away from her was going to be next to impossible. She was convinced that Ary was solely responsible for every bad thing that had happened to their family. Charlotte probably blamed her for things that happened before she was born.

Maddie was the first one to see her. She gave Ary a smile and waved her over to where their family was sitting. Ary shook her head. Maddie gave a dramatic sigh and got up and headed over to the wall that Ary was hiding behind.

"Hey, I didn't think you'd be stopping by today," Maddie said to her. Her voice was soft and sympathetic, like she were talking to an injured animal.

"Yeah, neither did I," Ary grumbled. She wasn't too happy about being there. She'd seen enough of hospitals over the past year. She'd also seen enough of her family.

"Come over and sit with us," Maddie urged her.

"Mads, I can't," Ary told her, firmly.

"Okay, I get it," Maddie said, holding her hands up in surrender. "Are you at least going to stick around and wait for an update on Uncle Jack?"

"Maybe, I don't know. I didn't really come for that," she sighed.

"Well, what did you come for then?" Maddie asked, giving her a confused look.

"I need to talk to Luke. Privately," she added, in a serious tone.

Over the course of the week, Maddie had come to accept that Luke's involvement with the Bloodbaths was of his own doing and not in result of something Ary did. She didn't know how involved Luke was with everything that had been happening, but she had her suspicions.

"Is this about the...gang?" Maddie asked, lowering her voice to a whisper. She glanced around the hallway to make sure that no one had overheard her.

"Yes, Mads, it's about the gang," Ary lowered her voice in the same dramatic way that Maddie had.

"Was the bomb like a hit on Uncle Jack's life because he was getting too close to figuring out what they're up to?" Maddie gasped, as if she'd solved the crime all on her own.

"Mads, this isn't an episode of Scooby Doo. I just need you to get Luke away from Aunt Charlotte, okay?" Ary had to fight to keep from shaking her head at Maddie's behavior.

"Why do I have to do it? You're the one who wants to talk to him," Maddie demanded, placing her hands on her hips to emphasize her point.

"Aunt Charlotte likes you. She's not going to freak out if you're the one who wants to talk to him in private," Ary said, sweetly. She gave Maddie her best pout.

"What would I need to talk to him about that I can't say in front of her!?" Maddie exclaimed. Improvisation was not one of her many skills. She had to have a play by play plan of everything she could possibly encounter when going up and talking to a stranger. This was no different.

"Tell him you know about his boyfriend," Ary suggested.

"Luke's gay?" Maddie's eyes widened in shock.

"Just go get him, Mads!" Ary said, pushing her sister back towards the waiting room.

Ary stayed back a ways as Maddie went off to get Luke. The genius doctor-to-be walked stiffly away and was smiling awkwardly, like she had a wedgie. If Maddie made it to Luke without getting arrested for being "too suspicious" it'd be a miracle.