Chapter Six: New Jobs and New Secrets

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

********************************

Chapter Six: New Jobs and New Secrets

Ary arrived at the police precinct just moments after Detective Wilcox and Keller arrived. They were waiting outside for her.

"Now can you tell me what's going on?" she demanded as she stormed up the steps to meet them.

"Inside," Wilcox assured her. "Right this way, Miss Harper," he said, opening the door for her.

Thankfully, Ary wasn't taken to an interrogation room. Detective Wilcox led her to his office. Clearly she wasn't being brought in as a criminal, but then why bring her down to the station at all? Or were they just trying to get her defenses down by making her think she was safe? That put her on high alert.

Wilcox and Keller left her alone in the office for a good ten minutes. She had to resist the urge to start snooping around. Even though the blinds were pulled over the windows and there were no mirrors that could possibly be taken as a two-way-mirror, Ary couldn't help but to feel like she was being watched. She did not feel safe at all in the police station.

"Well, Miss Harper, I bet you're wondering why we've brought you in," Detective Wilcox said once he had finally graced Ary with his presence once again.

"I'll admit, I'm a little curious," Ary replied, trying to play it cool. She didn't want to seem anxious around any cops.

"Two months ago you and your cousin were held captive by Michael Radcliffe, correct?" Wilcox asked her as he took a seat across from her at his desk.

"I don't know. You're the detective. Why don't you tell me?" Ary questioned, instantly going into defensive mode at the mention of Michael's name.

"Prewitt was right; you are defensive," Wilcox said as he leaned back in his chair.

Prewitt had been the lead detective on her kidnapping and murder case. What reason did these two have to talk about her? As far as she knew, Wilcox hadn't been anywhere near that case and she was pretty confident in her ability to remember the names and faces of people that could potentially get her locked up for murder.

"Look, instead of beating around the bush here, why don't you just tell me exactly what you want from me?" she demanded.

Wilcox smirked a bit as he searched through the files on his desk. "Do you know about the Bloodbaths, Miss Harper?" he asked, looking up from his files to stare directly at her.

Ary tried her hardest to keep her face composed, even when she was having a mini panic attack on the inside. The jig was up. They must have suspected that she had been involved with the gang and Mason's presence at the club and his sudden defense of her was all they needed to confirm it.

"Who doesn't know about them? They're one of the worst gangs in Chicago and are on the news at least once a week," Ary shrugged, still fighting to remain calm.

If Wilcox thought she was lying, he didn't let it show. He just continued with his questions. "Your cousin, Lucas Lawson is a Bloodbath, isn't he?" Wilcox proceeded to question.

"He was," Ary said, putting and emphasise on 'was'. "If you talked to Prewitt, you should know all of this already," she stated, sounding just a little bit irritated. She had every right to be irritated by useless questions.

"I'm just making sure you know all of this," he replied, an overly sweet smile on his face. He was purposely antagonizing her. Well, two could play that game.