Chapter Twenty: Love Confessions

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

******************************

Jaden pulled off on a back road just a mile outside of town and left his truck to idle and let Ary cry it out. She bawled like a baby. A part of her realized that she was overreacting, but the tears just wouldn't stop. She felt like the only thing she could do was cry.

"So..." Jaden let out a soft whistle between his teeth.

"I don't want to talk about it," she snapped, her voice sounding hoarse from the marathon cry she just had.

"Okay," Jaden nodded. Clearly that wasn't okay, because a few minutes later he spoke again. "Don't worry about anything. Your dad is just upset. He still loves you," he assured her.

"Please, stop talking," Ary begged. She felt the tears threatening to pool over again.

"I'm just-" Jaden began again.

"I will strangle you," she growled at him.

"Okay," he said again, and this time he did shut up.

Jaden talked on his phone off and on to several people over the next hour. Ary just stayed sitting in the passenger seat, staring straight ahead, not really focusing on anything. Her mind was swirling and her thoughts were all over the place.

She needed to check on Maria, but was too afraid to confront her sisters. What would they say about this? Would they sigh in relief to know that the reason why Ary never really fit in with them was because she wasn't actually one of them? There was now a reason for why she was the way she was. Her Aunt Charlotte would be ecstatic to find out that there was no shared blood between them.

Ary was still lost in thought when Rave pulled up behind them in his Camaro. Jaden got out to greet him, but Ary stayed behind. She wasn't so sure calling Rave had been the best idea, but at the time she had really wanted to see him. They both already knew that Garrett was her real father. He'd probably be annoyed with her for overreacting to something that wasn't news to either of them.

Rave came around to the passenger side of Jaden's truck and opened the door. She didn't look at him. She couldn't. If she looked into his steel gray eyes, they would dissolve all of the barriers that she had spent the last hour putting back into place.

"Hey, sweetheart," Rave greeted her, placing a soothing hand on her thigh. His voice was soft and very non-threatening, like he was speaking to a child or an injured animal.

That did it. That sweet, soft hint in his voice was her undoing. He rarely used that voice, and even when he did it was when they were alone, never in front of anyone. It was how she knew she was important to him and the fact that anyone, especially someone like Rave, deemed her important is what got to her.

Without saying a word, Ary leaned over and wrapped her arms around his neck, clinging to him. Rave immediately scooped her into his arms. Holding her close, he walked around the back end of the truck.

"Go find Mason," Rave told Jaden, dismissing the other man.

Ary heard Jaden get into his truck and drive off, but she didn't offer any thanks or farewell. She just kept her face buried in the crook of Rave's neck. It was soothing to be so close to him, to feel the play of muscles in his arms and shoulders as he held her. He was strong. A lot stronger than her.

"What happened?" Rave asked her, as he gently lowered her to her feet. He cupped her face in his hands and ran his thumbs lightly over her puffy cheeks.

"Garrett happened," Ary answered, slowly. She felt a hitch in her words as more tears threatened to spill, but she sniffed them back. She did not need to cry anymore.