Chapter Seventeen: Who to Trust

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*******************************

Ary had convinced Maria to trust her and now she had to worry about honoring that trust. That all started with finding a safe place for Maria to stay. Rave's place had been out of the question. The girl was still on the fence about trusting Rave and she hadn't been too pleased about seeing other former Bloodbaths at the club. Ary knew she didn't believe them when they told her they were out of the game. Hell, if Ary had lived like Maria and was presented with Rave and his group of misfits, she'd have thought they were up to no good too.

Going to the police was an even worse idea. Maria had almost clawed out Ary's eyes in an attempt to get out of the car when Ary suggested they talk to the cops. Ary had decided to keep it to herself that she was working along side the Chicago PD. She didn't need to completely destroy the woman's trust just yet.

The only place that Ary could think of was Haven. Clearly not an ideal place, but it was safe and a house filled with women and children had to be more comfortable for Maria than crashing with a bunch of former thugs. Ary wasn't too pleased with the idea herself, but what other choice did she have? The job was more important than her feelings towards her family, especially when the job involved the well-being of some of her family members.

If Maria had an aversion to the country she kept it to herself as they left the city and headed into greener pastures. She just started out the passenger window of the Jeep, a blank look on her face. Ary wondered what was going on the other woman's head?

"Well, this is it," Ary announced once they had reached the town limits of Haven.

"Hmm..." was all Maria cared to comment.

Okay, so Maria wasn't feeling sociable. Ary could deal with that. She really didn't feel like talking anyways. She was dreading the confrontation she was about to have with her family. She hadn't exactly let her family know that she was bringing someone home to stay with them for a little bit. She had let her uncle know and had left it up to him to explain the situation.

As they drove down Main Street, Maria shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Ary figured she was just tired of sitting in a vehicle all day, but then Ary noticed that her eyes were darting all over the place.

"What's wrong?" Ary asked, slowing the Jeep down until they were almost sitting idle in the middle of the street. Not a big deal since there  were no other vehicles on the road.

"It's nothing," Maria dismissed. She still looked a little shaken up.

"You know, you can tell me anything," Ary told the other woman, trying to give her best sympathetic look. She probably looked more like a crazy person with an eye twitch.

"I thought I saw someone I knew is all," Maria grumbled.

"Someone you knew? Like someone from the gang?" Ary asked. She glanced around the mostly deserted sidewalks. Did Rave have people following her?

"It's nothing," Maria told her with a shake of her head.

Ary would have been inclined to believe the woman, except that a familiar face walked out of one of the shops on Main Street and headed down the sidewalk. Luke. Ary glanced over to see Maria watching Luke's movements as he casually strolled away from them.

"You recognize him?" Ary asked Maria. They were both watching as Luke turned the corner.

"I saw him with Chris a few times," Maria shrugged. She was playing it off. Ary wondered if that was because she truly wasn't concerned about Luke's presence in Haven or if she was just a really good actress.