Chapter 34

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join beneath the Highrock for a Clan meeting," Bluestar calls. Brindleface gathers with her clanmates. It is time for Cloudpaw's warrior ceremony, which makes Brindleface feel very proud for her adoptive son. Her eyes focus over towards the apprentices' den, waiting for her own kits to pad out. She watches as Brightpaw nudges Swiftpaw out of the den. She watches as he leads the other apprentices towards the very edge of the crowd as they all sit down together. Brindleface gives an excited glance over towards Ashkit and Fernkit, which they return with a seemingly fake excited glance. Brindleface can't help but wonder if they feel some jealousy. Cloudpaw strolls out of the elders' den and pads over toward Fireheart, his tail waving in the air and his eyes shining with excitement.

"Cloudpaw, you fought well against RiverClan this morning, and I have decided that the time has come for you to take your place as a warrior in ThunderClan." Bluestar meows from the Highrock. "I, Bluestar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn." Bluestar's voice is harsh, which makes Brindleface feel worried for the older cat.

"Cloudpaw," Bluestar continues, "do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do," Cloudpaw responds.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name," Bluestar goes on, seeming like all of her words are dragged out of her. "Cloudpaw, from this moment you will be known as Cloudtail. StarClan honors your courage and your independence, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan." She leaps down from the Highrock, padding over to Cloudtail and resting her muzzle on his head. Cloudtail gives her shoulder a respectful lick, then goes over to stand beside Fireheart. Instead of greeting the new warrior, the clan is silent. Only a few uneasy murmurs can be heard. Brindleface turns to look at the other apprentices. She notices that they are all looking down at their paws and Swiftpaw has his back turned on his old denmate, which makes her feel a pang in her heart.

Brindleface stands up and pads over to Cloudtail, even though no other cat was, pressing her tabby muzzle against his.

"Well done, Cloudtail!" She exclaims. "I'm so proud of you!"

As if she had given a signal, Cinderpelt and Graystripe came up, and then at last the other cats began to crowd around, greeting Cloudtail by his new name and congratulating him. It took a while for the apprentices to join in with them. They finally came over, led by Brightpaw, each mewing a few quick words before slipping away. Swiftpaw did not go with them.

"You're keeping vigil tonight," Fireheart reminds his former apprentice. "Remember, you have to stay silent until dawn."

Cloudtail nods and pads off to take his position in the center of the clearing. Brindleface felt sad, knowing that her adoptive kit's warrior ceremony had been overshadowed by the jealousy of the other apprentices and Bluestar's odd behavior. Brindleface lets out a sigh and pads over towards the warriors' den.