Chapter 25

It is now leaf-bare and Brindleface's kits have grown quite a bit. Their eyes are now open and they can walk around. However, two of her three kits have caught a terrible case of greencough and are now in the medicine cat den with Yellowfang. Brindleface, still traumatized after losing Elderkit, tried her best to watch over her own kits. Goldenflower had left the nursery after Swiftkit became an apprentice mentored by Longtail. However, the ginger she-cat has returned to the nursery, this time expecting Tigerclaw's kits.

Two of Frostfur's kits were also made apprentices early. Cinderpaw is being trained by Fireheart and Brackenpaw is being trained by Graystripe. Brindleface is pleased that Graystripe got his first apprentice so early, since she treats him as one of her kits, even though he is Willowpelt and Whitestorm's.

So now, it is just Brindleface and Fernkit, Speckletail, Goldenflower, and Frostfur and Thornkit and Brightkit in the nursery.

Brindleface is very worried about Tulipkit and Ashkit, hoping that the disease kills neither of them.

"I hope they're okay.." Brindleface meows, resting her chin on her paws as she lays in her nest.

"They'll be okay, Brindleface. They're strong kits, they have your blood." Frostfur meows in response, partially complimenting her sister. "You should try to keep your mind off of them."

"I know, but I just can't help it. After losing Elderkit, I can't help but fear for the worst." Brindleface responds to the white-furred queen.

"I understand how you feel. I was worried all the time when my kits were taken. But, now they are perfectly fine. You will never know what will happen until it happens, Brindleface." Frostfur meows.

"You're right." Brindleface replies with a sigh.

"Who do you think will be next to join us in the nursery?" Goldenflower meows, trying to change the subject, especially since she had also lost a kit of her own.

"I don't know, there aren't any new young couples." Speckletail responds.

"Do you think Mousefur has a love interest?" Frostfur then meows. "She's the youngest she-cat warrior."

"I don't think so. I haven't seen her with any specific tom a lot. Although, I think it would be cute if her and Longtail would get together." Goldenflower answers. "She doesn't seem interested. Which isn't always a bad thing, it just means she cares more about being a good warrior instead of taking an almost seven moon break to have and raise kits." She meows.

"I agree, Goldenflower." Speckletail responds to her daughter. "I raised you well."

"Maybe Willowpelt?" Brindleface speaks up. "She could have a third litter soon." She meows.

"I can see that." Goldenflower meows. "She isn't a very good mother, however." She comments. Brindleface can feel a few strands of fur on her back stand up.

"What do you mean?" Brindleface meows, getting defensive. "She's a great mother!"

"Darkstripe is mean and she only has one-kit litters. Plus, she doesn't interact with her kits much after they leave the nursery." Goldenflower responds with a flick of her tail.

"You're saying Darkstripe is mean, but he was mentored by your mate. Both Tigerclaw and Darkstripe were nice when they were kits, but they became aggressive during their training." Brindleface meows, flattening her ears. "They are still good warriors. Tigerclaw is the clan deputy and Darkstripe is always ready to defend his clan." She adds. Goldenflower does not say anything else after that.

"I think there's a chance Willowpelt could join the nursery again sometime soon." Frostfur meows. Brindleface watches as a dark figure enters the nursery. It is Yellowfang.

"How are my kits?" Brindleface immediately asks the former ShadowClan medicine cat once she enters the nursery.

"Tulipkit is dead." Yellowfang shares. "I'm sorry, Brindleface." She meows. That's when Brindleface felt like her whole world was shattering apart.

I had four healthy kits, but now two are dead and one is close to dying. Why did this have to happen to me and them? Brindleface thinks. Although devastated, she tries to keep her calm.

"Thank you for your efforts, Yellowfang. How is Ashkit?" Brindleface asks the medicine cat.

"Still not well, but he seems like he's starting to get better." Yellowfang answers.

"Thank you. Please continue to do your best to cure Ashkit." Brindleface meows.

"It's what medicine cats do." Yellowfang replies grumpily with a flick of her tail.

I didn't mean for her to take it that way! Brindleface thinks. She then notices a white figure laying down next to her. She turns her head to see Frostfur.

"I'm so sorry." Frostfur meows, seeing the pain in her sister's eyes at the loss of yet another one of her nephews.

At least Tulipkit and Elderkit can be in StarClan together. Elderkit won't be alone anymore. Brindleface thinks. But, I don't think anything can cure my sadness for a while.