Chapter 24

Brindleface opens her eyes from her deep slumber, looking down at her four tiny kits, who are still sleeping by her belly.

"Good morning, beautiful kits." Brindleface whispers. She watches as the kits slowly begin to awaken as well, crawling over towards Brindleface's belly to nurse. Now, only Elderkit is still asleep.

"Well, looks like we know who the sleepyhead of the litter is." Brindleface meows with a purr of amusement. 

After a while, Brindleface realizes it has been a while since Elderkit should've woken up. She gives the kit a gentle lick.

"Hey dear, it's time to nurse. I bet you're hungry." Brindleface tells the kit. However, the kit doesn't move at all. She gives the kit a nudge, starting to get worried. There is still no response. Brindleface then realizes in a panic that there is no rise and fall of the kit's tiny chest, meaning he isn't breathing. Her eyes widen in fear.

"Are you okay, Brindleface?" Speckletail asks, worried about the younger cat.

"Elderkit is dead!" Brindleface wails. "He was perfectly healthy at birth, I have no idea what happened to him!" She continues to wail, bringing the tiny lifeless kit towards her chest, beginning to mourn over him.

"I'm so sorry, Brindleface. Things like that just happen sometimes. There's no guarantee that a kit that was born healthy will make it to apprenticeship. Think about Chestnutkit." Speckletail tells Brindleface.

"I'm so sorry. I know what it's like to lose a kit. It will be okay, just continue to love Ashkit, Fernkit, and Tulipkit even harder. That's what I did with Swiftkit after Lynxkit died." Goldenflower meows, mentioning her own deceased kit. Swiftkit, now much larger, almost the size of an apprentice, glances over at his mother sadly.

"The two of you are right. I will make sure to continue to love my other kits even harder. I'm going to hate sharing this news with Whitestorm and Willowpelt." Brindleface meows.

"He's in StarClan now. I bet Robinwing will take good care of him." Frostfur meows. Brindleface could still see the pain in her sister's blue eyes due to the disappearance of her own kits. She looks down at Elderkit.

"I'm so sorry, Elderkit." Brindleface whispers. "I wish I could save you."

***

ShadowClan has been defeated and the kits are now back. It was discovered that Yellowfang was innocent, so she eventually joined ThunderClan and became the new medicine cat. Frostfur was very relieved when her kits were returned to her. Firepaw and Graypaw were praised afterwards and became warriors. Willowpelt and Whitestorm were thrilled for their son. Their names are now Fireheart and Graystripe. Brindleface is beginning to think that taking the kittypet into the clan wasn't such a bad idea after all.

When Whitestorm and Willowpelt were told the news of Elderkit's death, they were heartbroken. They mourned over him like Brindleface had.

"Nothing will happen to any of you, I promise." Brindleface meows to her remaining kits.