Chapter 23

It has not been long since the battle against ShadowClan. The past couple of days have been calm in the nursery, thankfully.

Willowpelt and Whitestorm haven't been checking on me that much anymore, thank StarClan. I was getting very annoyed with them. I still love them though. Brindleface thinks.

Then, that's when Brindleface started to feel sharp pains, which made her realize exactly what was happening since it is all too familiar to her. The spotted tabby she-cat begins to panic as her eyes widen.

"What's the matter, Brindleface?" Goldenflower asks, worried about the other queen.

"The kits are coming!" Brindleface meows in a panic. "Go get Spottedleaf!" She watches as Goldenflower gets up out of her nest.

"Stay with Frostfur, love." Goldenflower meows to her only surviving kit, giving him a forehead lick.

"Okay!" Swiftkit meows, bounding over towards the white-furred queen. Goldenflower then hurries out of the den to get Spottedleaf.

It is not much longer until Goldenflower is back with Spottedleaf, who has a stick with her. Brindleface, knowing what to do, bites onto the stick once it is placed in front of her. After some pushing, the first kit is born.

"Good job, Brindleface!" Spottedleaf meows, licking the kit for the kitting queen. "It's a tom! He looks like a tiny version of you!" She meows happily. "Three more!"

"Wow, this is going to be fun. Looks like the nursery is going to be filled with kits!" Goldenflower meows sarcastically as the second kit is born.

"It looks like another mini Brindleface!" Spottedleaf meows happily, licking the kit down and placing it near Brindleface's belly. "But, it's a she-cat this time!" She meows. "Maybe the other two will look like Whitestorm. Keep pushing!" After a lot of pain, the third kit is finally born.

"Finally, one without the darker flecks. A dark gray tom." Spottedleaf meows with a purr of amusement as she licks him for Brindleface and places it near Brindleface's belly with the other kits so they can begin to nurse. "One more!" She meows. Finally, the fourth kit is successfully born.

"Great job, Brindleface! You did great." Spottedleaf praises, licking the final kit. "You can rest now." She meows after the places the final kit near Brindleface's belly after licking him.

"Three tom-kits, one she-kit." Spottedleaf announces.

"Congratulations." Frostfur and Goldenflower meow in unison.

"Yeah, congratulations Brindleface. They're beautiful, just like their mother." Speckletail compliments.

I can't believe I had a total of four kits and all of them look like me. Sandkit looked like neither Redtail or I. Brindleface thinks.

"Thank you." Brindleface responds weakly. She looks down at her four newborn kits, wondering what she should name them.

Sandkit was an easy name since she looked like a tiny pile of sand. But instead, these kits look like much larger pile of ashes. Brindleface meows, unknowingly coming to a realization. Ashes! That's it! I'll name one of them Ashkit! But, what about the other three? How about Elderkit for one of them because his solid dark gray fur reminds me elderberries? That works. It would probably be a good idea to name the other two after plants then, since it is simple yet cute. Tulipkit sounds adorable and so does Fernkit. I think I'll go with those names then. Ashkit, Elderkit, and Tulipkit for the toms and Fernkit for the she-kit. Brindleface thinks. It is not very long until the kits' other parents, Whitestorm and Willowpelt rush into the nursery after hearing the news.

"Oh! They're so beautiful!" Willowpelt meows happily, looking down at the newborn kits with joy.

"They look a lot like you, Brindleface, but nothing like me." Whitestorm meows with a purr of amusement. "If I didn't know anyone, I would've guessed that Willowpelt was the father of the kits, not me!" He jokes. Both she-cats let out a purr of amusement. "What are you going to name them? Have you decided yet?" Whitestorm then asks.

"The biggest gray tom with darker flecks is Ashkit, the dark gray tom is Elderkit, the gray she-kit with darker flecks is Fernkit, and the pale gray tom with darker flecks is Tulipkit." Brindleface announces.

"Wow, you're great with names." Willowpelt meows. "You should give me naming advice if I ever have another litter!" She jokes.

"I'd be glad to." Brindleface responds.

"I agree, their beautiful names match their beautiful pelts as well as their beautiful mother." Whitestorm purrs.

"Thank you." Brindleface responds with a purr.

This is the good life. Brindleface thinks.

***

It has been discovered that Frostfur's kits are missing and Spottedleaf was found dead. The clan is furious, desperate to know who stole Frostfur's kits and murdered the clan's only medicine cat. Brindleface, although very worried and hurt herself, has been trying to keep Frostfur calm and cheer her up. She has been assuring her that they will get Brackenkit, Thornkit, Cinderkit, and Brightkit back alive very soon. Brindleface is also worried about her own kits, afraid that they would be stolen too.

"I bet it was Yellowfang, that former ShadowClan medicine cat!" Frostfur meows with a hiss. Most of the clan, including Brindleface, blames her for the loss of Spottedleaf and Frostfur's kits. She has been kept in ThunderClan as a prisoner.

"Calm down, Frostfur. They will be back soon." Brindleface assures Frostfur. "They will be fine."

"You don't know that." Frostfur grumbles, laying her chin on her front paws. Brindleface lets out a sigh.

I really hope they're okay. Brindleface thinks as she nurses her own four kits.