Chapter 1

Brindleface pads through the bushes into ThunderClan's camp after going on a hunting patrol along with Fuzzypelt, Rosetail, and Goldenflower. The gray tabby happily carries a mouse in her jaws, proud that she had caught some fresh-kill for her clan. The she-cat's pride quickly changes to internal panic as the clan deputy, Redtail, approaches her.

"Nice catch, Brindleface." The tortoiseshell tom compliments her.

"Thank you." Brindleface responds with external calmness, dipping her head respectfully at her deputy.

The warrior has actually had romantic feelings for the deputy for a while now. However, she is afraid the deputy would not return her feelings.

He's so friendly and respected. Brindleface thinks as she admires the tom. There's no reason a tom like him would like a plain she-cat like myself.

"I think it would be a good idea to give that mouse to the elders. I know they haven't been fed yet and they would greatly appreciate it." Redtail suggests. "Then, you can come back over here and chat with me if you'd like." He meows. Brindleface can't help but purr.

He wants to chat... with me? Brindleface thinks happily as she begins to walk towards the elders' den. This could be my chance!

Brindleface pads into the elders' den, where she spots her four now aged clanmates lying in their nests.

"Brindleface!" Poppydawn meows at the sight of the gray tabby. "Is that for us?" She asks, eyeing the mouse.

"Yes! The four of you can share it." Brindleface meows, proud of her catch.

"Thank you." Halftail meows.

"It is a nice catch!" Smallear meows, complimenting the mouse.

"Thank you." Brindleface meows happily.

"No, thank you." One-eye adds in as all of the elders gather around the mouse and begin to eat. Brindleface leaves the elders' den, feeling pleased that her catch has fed the elders. Brindleface is alarmed to see that Redtail is no longer at the spot they were before.

Oh, he must've gotten caught up with his duties as deputy. Brindleface thinks but suddenly, something changes her mind.

"Brindleface! Over here!" Redtail calls from Brindleface's far right. She turns her head to see the clan deputy laying in the sun.

"Oh, I thought you got caught up with your deputy duties!" Brindleface responds, jogging over towards the tortoiseshell tom.

"Nope, I don't have anything to do right now, luckily." Redtail meows. The gray tabby lays down next to Redtail, enjoying the warmth of the sun.

"You look even more beautiful in the sun." Redtail compliments. This makes Brindleface's heart begin to pound faster.

"Thank you. You like great in the sun too." Brindleface responds, trying her best to stay calm.

"It's leaf-fall now, which means we're getting close to leaf-bare. I hope this upcoming leaf-bare is an easy one." Redtail mentions, looking up at the changing leaves.

"Is any leaf-bare an easy one?" Brindleface replies, thinking back at the leaf-bares she has experienced.

"You're right. I meant easier than they normally are." Redtail meows, moving the tip of his ginger tail a little.

"Redtail!" Brindleface then hears the voice of their clan leader, Bluestar, call.

"Oh, looks like I gotta go." Redtail meows, getting up. "I'll talk to you later!" He meows, beginning to pad off towards the blue-gray she-cat. Brindleface lets out a quiet sigh and gets up as well.

Right when I was building up bravery. Brindleface thinks. Well, his duties as deputy are more important.