Chapter 33

Brindleface lays in her nest in the warriors' den, hearing a lot of commotion coming from the camp. Wondering what it may be about, the gray spotted tabby gets up out of the nest and peeks her head out of the entrance of the den. The gathering was tonight, but even those who didn't go stayed up to guard the camp in case Tigerclaw attacked.

"ShadowClan doesn't know that," Brindleface hears Fireheart meow. She watches as other cats emerge from their dens. Brightpaw and Swiftpaw ran out of the apprentices' den, Dustpelt and Fernpaw pad up towards the crowd, and Speckletail peeks out of the nursery.

ShadowClan doesn't know what? Brindleface thinks as her clanmates crowd Fireheart with questions.

"Listen, all of you." Fireheart meows. "There's something you need to hear. Whitestorm will tell you what happened at the Gathering," he goes on, "and then I want a dawn patrol."

"Ashpaw and I will go." Dustpelt volunteers.

"I'll go too." Mousefur offers.

"And me." Cloudpaw meows. Brindleface couldn't help but purr, glad that her foster son is showing more commitment to Clan life.

"Dustpelt, Mousefur, Cloudpaw, and Ashpaw then," Fireheart meows. "The rest of you get some sleep. We'll need hunting patrols later on."

"What about you?" Darkstripe asks.

"I'm going to speak to Bluestar." Fireheart meows, padding off towards the Highrock.

Brindleface completely exits the warriors' den and heads over towards Whitestorm, wondering what her mate has to share from the gathering.

"Tigerclaw is now Tigerstar, leader of ShadowClan." Whitestorm shares with the other cats, which left some surprised gasps from the cats who didn't already hear the news before, including Brindleface herself.

"Why would they let him become leader? He's a murderer and a traitor!" Brindleface meows.

"Like Fireheart has said, ShadowClan doesn't know that." Whitestorm responds.

"He's just going to kill more cats!" Brindleface hears Swiftpaw growl.

He's been an apprentice for a very long time. Why isn't he a warrior yet? He seems ready. He's became an apprentice before Brackenfur, and he's already a warrior! Brindleface thinks.

"We need to be more alert than ever. We don't know when Tigerstar may send ShadowClan to attack us," Whitestorm meows. "And try not to leave camp alone," he adds, "he may try to ambush a cat if they're alone. Be very cautious." He advises to his clanmates.

"We'll keep that in mind." Longtail responds to the senior warrior.

"Good. We don't want to lose any more warriors, especially in times like this." Whitestorm meows. "We don't know what Tigerclaw, I mean, Tigerstar may have in mind."

Brindleface can't help but feel a shiver down her spine at the name of the cruel leader of ShadowClan.

We're in trouble. Brindleface can't help but honestly think.