Chapter 5

On the vehicle deck below, a blacked out mini van waited for us. Michael escorted me to the van and opened the door.

"Sit there," he said, pointing to the middle seat.

"No, I want to look out the window." I replied, sliding into the furthest seat.

"You need to sit there," he growled.

I scowled at him and reluctantly slid into the middle seat. 

He leaned across me and buckled me in. Once he was satisfied the seatbelt was secure, he took a seat next to me and closed the door. 

"Why can't sit next to the window?" I asked.

"It's not safe," he murmured in a low voice.

I raised a sceptical eyebrow and leaned forward in my seat, taking a look out his window. The flat of palm soon pushed me back against my seat. 

"It doesn't look dangerous," I sighed.

"Travelling during the night is always dangerous - we are more open to attack. Normally, we like to travel about in daylight, but tonight it's been decided to take you straight back to your Uncle's hotel in London. He will be able to protect you."

"He's not really my uncle, though. He's a stranger... do you really want to leave me with him?"

"I have no choice. You must return to your coven and I must go back to the Department of Supernatural Relations. I can't stay with you, Lorna. Your uncle won't allow it."

"Why not? You're a vampire too."

"It's difficult to explain. My kind is not tolerated by yours."

As he spoke, I saw the photograph of him in the laboratory come into my head. I recalled the caption under the photo describing him as a 'V-0'. I wondered what that meant and if that made Michael different from me.

I thought about the other photo's I had seen - Uriel and Gabriel. Then I remembered the noise on the ship roof - Michael had mentioned the name Raphael. All their names were the same as the Archangels. 

Michael's hand, slipped into mine.

"It's okay," he said softly. "I'm not leaving you."

His hand felt so warm in mine, I didn't want to let go. A wave of tiredness washed over me and I rested my head against his shoulder. I felt him turn to look down at me.

"You sleep, now. I'll watch over you until we arrive in London," he said softly.

"I'm not sleeping, I'm resting my eyes," I explained.

"Then rest," he whispered.

Time passed and I slipped into a dreamless sleep. An hour or so later, I woke up to find Michael's coat draped over me. The car was still moving and when I opened my eyes, Michael was still there, staring out the window.

I sleepily lifted my head off his shoulder and looked out the window. We were driving through a city - but a city I did not recognise. There were no giant skyscrapers or multilane roads. It was street after street of grand Edwardian and Victorian housing.

"This is so pretty," I whispered.

"This is Knightsbridge - it's very upmarket."

"So, I'm guessing this is where the posh people live?"

"Oh yes, there's a lot of money in Knightsbridge."

"So where about's is my 'uncle's' hotel."

"It's on the next street, overlooking Hyde Park."