bite. ch 17- Leandro

Michael left me on the steps of the hotel to endure the wrath of Francesca alone. I saw her in her baby pink juicy velour tracksuit standing on the steps of the hotel waiting for me. I wasn’t supposed to leave the hotel without a chaperone.

“Lorna I am very disappointed in you.” Francesca looked furious. She saw the tear in my clothes where the monster had sliced my shoulder. The color drained from her face as she spun me around to inspect the wound.

“Francesca,” I whined, “I’m fine, I healed almost instantly.”

Francesca spun me around and forced me to look her directly in the eyes, “Do you realise how lucky you are. Those things have killed countless humans and vampires! Do you think I want you to wind up-” Francesca hesistated and lowered her voice, “Do you think I want you ending up like your cousin Emma?”

I shook my head.

Francesca took a deep breath and said, “You’re grounded for a week young lady.”

“You can’t be serious!” I said. I was way too old to be grounded.

Francesca folded her arms across her chest and said, “This is serious Lorna. You are not to leave the apartment for the next week. You are still a very juvenile vampire you can only go out with a chaperone. Now go to your room right now.”

“But Francesca!”

“Go!” Francesca snapped pointing at the elevator doors.

With my tail in between my legs I conceded defeat and began the slow walk down to my apartment. I couldn’t believe I was grounded. I hadn’t been grounded since I was a little kid! Plus how was I going to get to the bottom of Emma’s murder sat in my bedroom. Sulkily I got into the elevator and pressed my floor, as the doors closed someone yelled for me to hold the doors open. Quickly I pressed the button and the doors opened and in stepped that guy I had saw earlier- the teenage kid that kind of looked like Zac Efron. He thanked me and pressed a different floor level. I was too busy in my little bubble of woe to notice that Zac Efron look-a-like was staring at me, really staring.

“Your contacts are very realistic.” He commented in a strange accent.

“They’re not contacts.” I said nonchalantly.

The door pinged and the doors opened onto my floor. I stepped out and walked out into the corridor where Magda was waiting hands on hips scowling at me. I winced for a second thinking I was going to get another lecture but she caught sight of the man in the elevator. In one swift movement she turned on heel and went back into her apartment. Glancing over my shoulder I stared at Zac Efron who seemed to have recognised Magda. I followed Magda back into the apartment and found her in the kitchen washing up as if nothing happened.

“Who was that man?” I asked.

“No one.” Magda replied curtly.

“You both seemed to know each other.” I replied.

“We did once.”

“Who was he?”

“His name is Leandro, he’s your great-grandfather.” Magda replied in a matter of fact tone.

My jaw nearly hit the ground. Was she joking? That guy looked fifteen! There was no way he could be my great-grandfather he looked like Troy fresh from the first high school musical movie. I thought Leandro would be some ancient fossil with a gray beard and a false set of fangs.

“He looks a bit young.” I said.

“Leandro is one of the most ancient and powerful vampires in the world.” Magda said sharply.