bite. chapter 35- Miss. Logan

The corsa, (a small hatchback car), was older than me. It seats stank of must and the roof bended inward over bumps and there was strange lumps of mould growing on the bottom of the car floor. The only redeeming feature about the car was the 1980s road atlas with half the roads missing. As we travelled down the bumpy back roads Michael warned me,

“The suspension is jacked, Lorna, don’t hit your head baby.”

Sheldon sat at the front of the car with a hip flask of tequila and a folder. He threw the folder onto the back seat while he tried to get the radio working. He glanced over his shoulder and yelled,

 “Look at that folder, it’s all the stuff I piked from my sources,”

I opened the front page and was surprised by a large newspaper clipping of a girl holding a birthday cake and smiling, the head line read ‘Hope for Cassie as she turns 15’.

“Who’s the girl?” I asked Sheldon.

“Her? That’s Cassie Logan, poor kid got leukaemia. Her mother was Tessa Logan, it’s her cousin we are going to see today. She and Tessa were working together in Cumbria on the v-types. Mary should have died in the lab with all the rest of the workers but she was off sick the day the incident happened.” Sheldon explained.

 I slumped in the car as I saw a speed bump approaching. Michael ducked his head too. The roof flexed inward as we went over the bump and there was a horrible crack. I looked over to Sheldon who had his hand on his head,

“I don’t feel so good.” Sheldon admitted weakly.

“Let me see your hand.” Michael said.

I didn’t need to see Sheldon’s hand, I could see the wetness of the blood seeping through his fingertips. I dropped the folder and grabbed Sheldon’s shoulders as he slumped forward. Michael swore and pulled the car over.

“He’s been stunned. The wound will heal in a couple of moments.” Michael said.

“Will he wake up?” I asked.

“Probably not. Weird vampire thing, when we get knocked out we usually don’t wake up until the next rising.”

“Great, so what are we going to do with him?”

“Stick him in the back and throw a blanket over him.”

We swapped places and I sat in the front and Sheldon lay in the back. We drove to Sevenoaks and found the hairdressing salon. Mary Logan lived in a tiny flat above a hairdressers called ‘Curl up and Dye’ in the town of Sevenoaks south of London. We parked the car and walked to the front door.

“It’s a little late to making a call.” I said looking at the door bell.

Michael examined the door then glanced about the street. I realised what he was about to do and stopped him, “You can’t break in.” I snapped.

“I’m not going to argue with you about this.” Michael replied.

I looked about and noticed a plant pot by the door, lifting it up I found a key. Waving it infront of Michael he took it off me and opened the front door. We crept upstairs and found Mary fast asleep in her bed. I felt awful for doing this, but we had no other choice. I turned on her lamp light and gently nudged her.

“Mary Logan?” I asked.

“What is this, oh my god!” She yelled holding the blanket up to her nose staring at us in horror.

“Please keep calm we haven’t come here to rob you or hurt you. We want to ask some questions.”

“I will scream if you do not leave immediately!”