Chapter 40

I felt like a cold bucket of water had been dumped over me.

This was not what I expected from a man who was supposed to be in love with me.

He'd kidnapped Keira to get me, yet when had me, he didn't care that Patrick wanted to violate me.

I stared up at Micah, unable to comprehend what the hell was wrong with him. He disappeared into the office and came out seconds later with Keira over his shoulder.

She was unconscience and tied up with dozens of silver chains.

"What did you do to her?" I yelled at him.

He ignored me and tossed her to the floor, remarking, "Aw, it's a family reunion."

"Fuck you, Micah. What the hell do you want?"

"Oh, Lorna. You can't even begin to comprehend what I want."

"I don't love you, Micah. I can't love you - I'm mated to another vampire."

"I know."

"So why are you doing this?"

"Look, I used to love you. I loved you more than that fucking Michael could ever love you - but that was back then."

"Then why do you keep haunting me?"

"Aw, honey. You always thought you were so much smarter than me. Keira, here knows the truth, don't you, honey?" he grabbed Keira by the hair and yanked her back.

"Get off her!" I yelled.

"You're always underestimating the situation and overestimating your judgements about others. Take me for example, I'm just some nasty villain who is trying to kidnap you from your boyfriend."

He dropped Keira and pulled out a torn piece of newspaper from his jacket pocket. Holding it out he asked, "Do you recognise this?"

I looked at it and saw that it was the newspaper clipping of Cassandra Logan's birthday party, the young girl that defied doctor's expectations and lived to see another year despite having life-threatening leukaemia.

"Yes, but I don't understand - she's just a kid."

"Read the date," he snapped.

I took the newspaper clipping from his hand and read the date- 'Monday April 25th 2005'.

"This doesn't make sense. Cassandra told me she was fifteen, but according to this paper she was fifteen over a decade ago," I said.

"Let me help you out. Now, think logically. If you were in charge of an injection that would give you the power over an undead army- would you hand it over to a scruffy eco-dick that had busted up your lab?"

"I thought you might have gone looking for the injection, for yourself."

"Honey, when I entered those labs I had no idea that vampires even existed. I was there to break loose a couple of gibbons. I had no idea what they were breeding in the basement."

"So how did you get injected?"

"I wasn't injected. I was bitten."

"By who?"

"By her," he said, nodding across the room.

Cassandra was here, standing at the far side of the warehouse in a soft pink frock coat. She smiled at me and gave a small wave.

"Hello, Lorna," she said.

My stomach dropped and I felt my world start to spin.

"I don't understand," I said.