Chapter 3c

What was wrong with me?

I wasn't the type of girl to grab a guy and kiss him. Heck, even with Micah, I was shy... but Micah never made me burn in the same way that Michael did.

There was something about Michael that made me lose focus. Even now, as I walked behind him, I was fighting the urge to get closer to him. I needed to get away from him - I needed to forget him.

I stopped walking and called to him, "Michael?"

He paused and turned to look at me, his grey eyes regarding me coolly.

"Um... you can leave me here. I can find my own way back to my cabin," I said softly.

I tried not to look at him as I spoke. The shame and embarrassment of earlier was too fresh for me. With my eyes lowered, I tried moving around him and muttering a polite 'good night'.

"Are you upset with me?" he suddenly asked.

My cheeks flushed red and I shook my head, "No, I'm upset with myself. I'm not usually that forward with guys."

"Am I different from your other guys?"

I stifled a humourless laugh, "You make it sound like I have a harem of them back home."

"Did you?" he inquired curiously.

"No, I just had one boyfriend... well, ex-boyfriend, Micah," I explained.

"Do you love this ex-boyfriend?"

"I did when we first started going out, but then he changed. He started drinking more and experimenting with drugs. In the end, I couldn't stand him."

"Well, you never have to see him again," Michael replied flatly and changed the subject. "Come on, I said that I would walk you back to your cabin and I meant it."

He gestured for me to follow him and I did, although I made sure that I kept my distance. Descending down a couple of flights, Michael paused and registered the distance between us.

"What are you doing all the way back there?"

"I'm coming," I replied and pretended to catch up with him, but then slowed down again as we started to continue down the stairs.

Michael noticed the gap between us and stopped. "Is something wrong with me that you have to walk ten paces behind me?"

I shook my head, "No, nothing is wrong."

"Am I walking too fast?"

"No, I just want... to keep my distance...because of what happened earlier."

A flicker of humour twinkled across his eyes and his mouth softened into a shadow of a smile, "Are you planning on trying to kiss me again."

"God, no! That would be terrible," I said, feeling my heart start to tighten as he moved towards me.

"So you think kissing me, would be terrible?"

"No, I didn't say that... that's not what I meant."

"And what did you mean, Lorna?"

He was now standing on the step below me, his face now staring into mine. My mouth went dry and palms started to sweat. I was fighting a desire inside me, to reach out and touch him, or even better, lean forward and taste those lips...

He belongs to me... a voice whispered in the back of my head.

I jerked away from him and lowered my gaze to the floor.

"I'm sorry, there is something wrong with me... I can't stay here with you," I explained and moved around him.

"Why not?" he asked, following me.

"I just can't, okay. Please, don't ask why."

"Lorna," he called out after me.

I stopped at the bottom of the stairs and faced him. Throwing my hands up, I explained calmly, "Look, it doesn't matter. In a few hours, the ship will dock and we will never see each other again."

The moment I mention 'never see each other again' his eyes harden and he growled, "What makes you think that?"

"I thought you were only escorting us back to the hotel... and I thought after that, I would never... see you... again."

I struggled to get the words out of my mouth. Each syllable felt like a tiny knife slicing into my heart. The pain radiated through my chest, making me went to curl up into a tiny ball and die.

"Lorna," he whispered my name and then stopped. His head lifted up as a strange sound echoed up the stairwell.

We both stopped and listened.

There was another sound - a low disembodied sob.

"Is that Francesca?" I asked.

Michael stared into the darkness below and said, "Stay here, I will check it out."

"No way! What if something bad is happening? You could need my help!" I protested.

"And that is why you are going to stay here, glued to this spot. You don't move until I get back - understood?"

I shook my head, "I'm coming with you."

"Lorna, I'll only be gone a few moments. I'm literally going to walk down the stair and to the end of the corridor. After that, I'll come straight back to you. I promise."

I didn't like promises. Micah used to make promises. He used to make promises to stay sober, faithful and work hard for our future, but it always ended in disappointment.

"Okay," I relented. "But, if you're not back in thirty seconds, I'm coming after you."

"I promise, I'll be back," he said and gave my hand an unexpected squeeze before disappearing down the corridor.

I waited and waited, and sure enough a few moments later Michael returned.

"What's happened?" I asked.

"There's been a sudden death in the family," he explained. "Francesca's niece was found murdered in her apartment this evening... Francesca is hysterical and Magda is trying to keep her calm."

"Oh god, should I go back to my cabin?"

"No, Francesca and Magda have placed you in my care. I will take you back to your new home in London."

"What about Francesca and Magda?"

"They will travel separately from us and join you later."

I dropped down onto the step and stared at the floor. God, life was brutal - even to vampires.

"How was she murdered?" I asked.

"I don't know the full details yet. Emma, Francesca's niece, lived outside the coven and unfortunately living outside a coven is a risk. She was found dead inside her apartment."

I stared down at the carpet and said a silent prayer for the dead woman I'd never met. Francesa's wailing continued to echo up the stairs, sending chills down my spine.

Michael took my arm and said, "Come on. Let's go up to the observation deck."