Chapter 1

August 27th 1999

It starts with a familiar voice slurring my name.

"Lorna? Are you awake?"

The question lifts me out of my dream. He's here. He's really here. Shit.

I keep my eyes closed, praying he goes away but then...

"Lorna! Fucking get out here NOW!"

Panic washes over me. He's here, he's drunk and he's screaming my name outside my parents house at 4am in the morning.

"No-no-no. Not tonight, Micah," I muttered under my breath.

He screamed out my name again and I got out of bed, walk edacross to my bedroom window and peeked through the curtains.

"Jesus, Micah, " I whispered out loud.

There he was. My stupid-ass drunk boyfriend, lying face down in my Mom's flower bed, hugging an empty bottle of liquor.

"Damn it, Micah," I groan.

Why was here? He knew my next door neighbour was a cop. If he wakes up, Micah will end up in the drunk tank...again.

I heard a slurring sound coming from Micah as he lifted his head to take a good look at me, judging him from my bedroom window.

"Lorna? Lorna baby, is that you?" he called out.

I cracked my window open and silent yelled at him, "It's 2 am in the morning! What the fuck, Micah!"

"I missed you, baby."

"So you dragged your drunk-ass down here and decided to howl about it on my lawn?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to go," he said in his 'poor little me' voice, that once made me feel sorry for him, but now grated on my nerves.

"Just hold on. I'm coming down." I announced, throwing on sweater. 

I run downstairs and pulled on a hoodie. By the time I got out my front door, Micah was on his feet, staggering towards me.

"There's my baby girl!" he said, lurching towards me.

"What are you doing here, Micah?"

"I wanted to see my honey."

He grins at me, clutching his empty bottle of whiskey. I side step his hug, trying not to dry heave from the overwhelming stench of alcohol, cigarettes, and piss that is radiating from him.

"Micah, you stink!" I snapped.

His smile dies and I instantly regret what I just said. Micah's big, he used to play on the football team before he got kicked out of school for underage drinking.

He leans down into my face and spits, "Fuck you - always acting like your own shit don't stink."

"Stop it, Micah," I snap, pushing him away.

He staggers backwards and then takes the empty bottle in his hand and hurls it my head. I duck and cover my head. The bottle flies over me and smashes into the wall behind. Glass explodes everywhere.

"Are you out of your mind," I scream at him, "You nearly hit me!"

He didn't seem to care. In fact, the cold-hearted bastard didn't even bat an eyelash.

"I don't need you. You're not special. I can have any girl in this town!"

"Great! Go find your next victim and drunk rant on her lawn instead of mine."

"Fuck you, Lorna! We are through. Completely and utterly fucking finished!"

"Great! Get out of here!"