bite.- chapter 12- slayer head quaters

Deep in the subconscious of my sleep I became aware that the sun was setting. The awareness spread pulling me out of a heavy dreamless sleep and the memories of yesterday flashed in my mind.

 The monster.

 The girl.

The blood.

… so much blood.

I wanted to cry out in panic but my body hadn’t fully awoken. It felt like being underwater unable to kick to the surface to breathe. What had happened to me after I passed out? Where was Michael? I felt soothing sensation gliding across my arm in a circular motion and a voice calling softly to me. My lungs took their first breathe of the evening and my eyes drowsily fluttered open. I was lying in a strange room and Michael was sat next to me softly caressing my arm.

“Hey.” He said forcing a smile. He looked tired, he was still in the suit he wore yesterday and he had black bags under his eyes. I sensed that this was from exhaustion and worry. I tried to imagined how Michael felt when he realised I was missing and then found the dead girl. Taking my hand Michael brushed his lips lightly over my knuckles s and held my hand in his over his heart.

“You were gone. I thought I’d lost you.” He said raggedly.

“Mike! I need to talk to her.” A voice called out.

Michael glanced over his shoulder all the lovingness and concern draining out of his face and shouted,

“Shit Gabe she’s just woken up. Can you give us five minutes alone!”

“Aw come on man, don’t be like that. I want talk to your pretty girlfriend.”

“Ass,” Michael muttered under his breathe turning his attention back on me. “Lorna what the hell happened last night? I was going out of my mind. I roll up with the car and there is blood everywhere. You were nowhere in sight.”

Reaching out I touched Michael’s shirt stroking downwards over his chest, tears burned in the back of my eyes. All I kept thinking about was that woman staring at me mouthing the words, ‘it’s behind you’, she saved me when I couldn’t even save her with my vampire abilities. Sitting up in and unfamiliar bed in a strange room I wrapped my arms around Michael’s neck, close my eyes and buried my face into his shirt. Protective arms cocooned around me as Michael heaved a heavy groan,

“What the hell happened out there?”

I inclined my head up to his and looked into his eyes. I wanted to forget for a few seconds what had happened last night and there was only one person who could make me forget everything. Lifting lips to his I kissed him tenderly moving slowly against his mouth. When the hell did I get so bold? I guess it was the lesser of two evils. There was a physical side of romance I couldn’t ignore. Michael wanted me just like Micah had and this scared and excited me at the same time. I didn’t understand men or what they wanted from me or what I wanted from them. The reason why I kissed Michael was because I wanted to forget that woman’s face but I couldn’t help wonder how Michael interpreted this brave move from me. Was I sending him the wrong message? Was I playing with his mind? I pulled away from the kiss feeling suddenly very aware of myself.

“What was that about?” Michael asked.

“Nothing.” I shrugged sitting up properly and getting out of bed.

Michael had blocked my view of the rest of the room but now I was standing up I could see an open plan laboratory with beds dotted around the room hidden in little alcoves. I saw Barry sat at the centre of the room laughing and joking with a couple of guys one of whom looked like a soldier I had seen in the hotel bar. The man who Michael had yelled at earlier was sat at a desk stripping down a weapon.